READ MORE ON TRAVEL GUIDE FOR UGANDA
BEST TIME FOR UGANDA SAFARI & GORILLA TREK
When Is The Best Time To Travel To Uganda For A Wildlife Safari & Gorilla Trekking Vacation?Located on the equator, Uganda is a lovely country to visit most times of the year. That’s because there isn’t much variation in temperatures year-round. But, like the rest of Africa, it’s important to keep in mind that the country has two dry seasons and two wet seasons. Each of these seasons has its own charm and offers visitors a unique aspect of the natural beauty of the country. Another factor in planning your vacation is the particular tours and safari activities you wish to participate in. To do it all, you’ll want to come more than once to the Pearl of Africa!
As the expert consultant at AfricanMecca Safaris will tell you, the incredible diversity of Uganda’s natural treasures and its people make it impossible to cover in a single one-week safari holiday. You would need at least two weeks to maximize your stays at different wildlife parks, towns, and the urban metropolis in Uganda.
Different Monthly Seasons In Uganda - Dry, Hot, Wet Rainy & CoolNote On Wet Rainy Season in Uganda: The precipitation in millimeters is less in Murchison Falls and Kidepo Valley compared to other parks. This is primarily due to the hot-humid equatorial climate based on its geographical location in Uganda. Expect thunderstorms during the rainy season. There are also seasonal variations in different parks. We recommend you review the best times for each park too.
- Dry Months, Best Time For Uganda: January, February, June and July.
- Dry & Wet Rainy Months, Very Good Time For Uganda: August and December.
- Wet Rainy Months, Good Time For Uganda: March and September are both rainy periods though September is also a peak period with high number of visitors into Uganda. These months are also the start of the lush green season.
- Wet Rainy Season, Least Best Time For Uganda: April, May, October, and November.
- Hot & Cool Months: There is only 1-4 Celsius degrees variation in temperature in between months in Uganda.
- Best Time For Birdwatching Safaris In Uganda: The best time for birding safaris in Uganda is from end of May to September; though, this also varies for each park. The migratory birds arrive in November and leave by April.
- The country does not have much variations in year-round temperatures, making it ideal for visiting at most times of the year
- Guests desiring to go mountain gorilla tracking, savannah and riverine wildlife game viewing should opt to visit in the dry seasons
- Birdwatching enthusiasts may want to trip out from November to April when many migratory birds arrive and depart in Uganda
- Families with kids may schedule their tours when the schools are closed for summers from June to August or during the last two weeks of December
- Vacationers advised planning 10-14 days tour to explore most that the country has to offer
Page Content - Start Here
1. Coordinating Safari Activities With The Weather & Climatic Patterns In Uganda
- Mountain gorillas tend to be on lower elevations during the wet season since they don’t have to travel far to find food while during the dry season, they traverse higher elevations in search of food.
- Traveling to parks like Queen Elizabeth and Murchison Falls is best done in the dry seasons when vegetation is sparse and spotting wildlife is easy i.e. January and February or the longer best dry season of June, July, and August
- Kidepo Valley only has one long dry season (July to February) and one wet season (March to June), and has distinct climatic patterns compared to other parks in Uganda
Finding food is easier for the gorillas during the wet season. For this reason, you may find that you don’t have to hike so far, or for so long, to locate them. This is also something to consider if you want to visit chimpanzees or the elusive golden monkeys. Having said that, it is extremely important to note that trekking conditions of the ascending and descending trails can be very challenging during the wet period. You will need to be extra fit and also have hiking experience in wet conditions.
Additionally, if you are thinking about visiting other Uganda parks and reserves, for example, Queen Elizabeth and Murchison Falls, you might want to choose the shorter dry season of January and February or the longer best dry season of June, July, and August. The vegetation in these parks is sparser at this time of the year, so locating the wildlife is easier. Logistics are more efficient because the roads are less muddy and travel simply takes less time. On the other hand, if you’re planning to visit urban locales in Kampala and Entebbe, you’ll probably find the weather has minimal effect on your city tour activities and you can continue with your excursions at most times of the year.
In contrast to the rest of Uganda, the Kidepo Valley has one long dry season (July to February) and one wet season (March to June). Each of these seasons offers a unique aspect of the superb beauty of this region. For instance, in the dry season, most of the wildlife congregates near the watering holes in the Narus River valley system, so you may find it easy to locate the animals you want to see on your game drives.
You can also drive to the Kanangorok Hot Springs to see the waters gushing up from the valley ground. During the wet season, the valley takes on a cover of lush greenery that is marvelous to see and also the best time to see birds as the rains bring an abundance of food that leads to a lot of avian activity. You may also have the opportunity to spot the seasonal Kidepo River actually flowing before it seems to disappear during the dry season.
If you are visiting Uganda with the hope of sighting some of its incredible diversity of avian life, know that most birds like to breed during the wet season, when there is more food available. However, the denser vegetation might mean it takes longer to spot them. You might also be able to glimpse more of the migratory birds arriving from the colder northern hemisphere in the months of November, December, January, and February, and return back from March and April onwards..
2. Altitude & Temperatures In Uganda Have A Correlation & Difference
- Temperature variations across the country depending on locations and altitudes
- Highland temperatures tend to be lower all through the year, with nighttime weather getting even cooler
- Kidepo Valley experiencing year-round warm temperatures with dry, arid conditions
Given that Kidepo is a valley and is located at much lower altitudes, you can expect the weather here to be much warmer than in the rest of the country and its weather is different from the rest of the parks. During the dry months of January, February, and March, temperatures can range from 34 C (93 F) during the day and lows of 20 C (68 F). However, during the cooler months of June, July, and August, you will experience temperatures ranging from highs of 29 C (84 F) during the day and lows of 16 C (61 F) at night. Nighttime temperatures at Kidepo are more or less the same for the other months of the year and vary from 17 C (62 F) to 19 C (66 F).
3. Budgetary Timing Of Your Visit To Uganda
- Vacationing in the wet seasons is typically more economical than during the dry peak or high seasons
- Tourist footfall and pricing is higher in the months from June to September to coincide with the summer season in North America and Europe
- You may be able to time your safari at the start or end of the rainy season while benefiting from lower rooming costs and fewer visitors in the parks
4. Best Time For Vacationing With Children In Uganda
- Family vacations typically planned when the schools are closed for summer, and it is the dry season in Uganda
- Lower incidence of malaria and other illnesses in the dry seasons when there fewer mosquitos and other bugs
- Safaris planned in the last two weeks in December is also an ideal time for families to visit Uganda. End your stay at the beach on Lake Victoria
When organizing your safari in Uganda, AfricanMecca can give you a good overview of the kind of weather to expect. However, it’s important to remember that it’s always possible to encounter some unexpected conditions. With no thanks to our global climate change, weather patterns in Uganda and across Africa have become less predictable, and you may experience more rain or sunshine than you expected. Whatever the weather, you can look forward to an unforgettable wilderness experience and a wonderful introduction to the natural wonders of Uganda.
5. When Is The Best Time For Different Parks & DestinationsUganda has diverse regions as noted below. Select your preferred area to view individual details on the best time to travel.
Uganda Country Rating By AfricanMecca
Users (0 votes) 0
Write A Trip Review On When Was Your Best Time For Safari In Uganda
CONTACT AND TALK TO OUR SAFARI EXPERTS TODAY TO KICK-START YOUR TOUR PLANNING PROCESS
Request Uganda Custom Or Tailor-Made Safari Pricing Based On Your Specific Travel Dates At Your Preferred Safari Tier Camp Or LodgeCONTACT AN EXPERT ON UGANDA SAFARI PRICES & TOURS
Read More +
SAFARI PRICES FOR UGANDA
Review individual itineraries and prices of our suggested Uganda safaris with the option of customizing your Africa tour based on your needs and preferences.
Read More +
HOW TO PLAN UGANDA SAFARI?
How to plan Top 11 Uganda safari trips from gorilla and chimpanzee primate treks, photographic, family, romantic honeymoons tours to hiking trails, birdwatching, luxury tour, private and custom tour.
Read More +
PARKS & RESERVES IN UGANDA
Review information on wildlife safari parks, reserves and lakes in Uganda i.e. Bwindi, Queen Elizabeth, Kibale, Murchison Falls, Kidepo Valley, Mgahinga, Semliki, and Lake Mburo
Read More +
ACCOMMODATIONS - LODGES, CAMPS, HOTELS IN UGANDA
Review information on safari lodges and camps, city hotels, lakeside resorts in Uganda's pristine wilderness, cities, lake beach shores and idyllic forests.
Read More +
BEST TIME TO VISIT UGANDA ON A SAFARI VACATION
Review details on the best time to go to Uganda to visit its various wildlife outback, forests, beachside lakes, cities and towns, mountains and other wildernesses.
Read More +
UGANDA GORILLA TREK & CHIMPANZEE SAFARIS
Experience the opportunity to track down endangered mountain gorillas of Bwindi and Mgahinga National Parks and other primates like chimpanzees and monkeys of Kibale, Kyambura Gorge, Budongo and Semliki.
Read More +
UGANDA COUNTRY PROFILE
Review country information and travel tips on Uganda i.e. geography, culture, history, climate, tipping guide, what to pack and wear, entry requirements and more.
Read More +
TOP 10 REASONS TO VISIT UGANDA
There are infinite reasons to visit Uganda e.g distinct gorilla and chimpanzee parks, one stop affordable safari destination, big game and birding paradise, diverse activities, mountain climbing etc.
Read More +
AFRICAN SAFARI PRICES
Check out safari prices and itineraries for parks and reserves in other African countries e.g. Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Botswana, South Africa, Zambia etc. Namibia, Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe are available on request.
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
Jambo Altaf and Raza! We are back on earth now after our fabulous honeymoon. This is to say THANK YOU so much for organising a week in Kenya that we will never forget.....!
Dr Krina Zondervan, Oxford University - United Kingdom
Jambo Raza!!! The safari trip was spectacular! Everything went off without a hitch. We loved the Masai Mara. The migration was awesome. You listened to what I wanted and delivered it perfectly.
Judi & Chaim Platt - Toronto, Canada
I cannot say enough about the quality of AfricanMecca. Their teams in Kenya and Tanzania were top notch. Raza, again thanks to you and your entire organization! We will be repeat customers.
Dan Kobick - Managing Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers - New York, United States
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you..
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING & TOUR HOLIDAY IDEA UGANDA FOR 2024-2025
We recommend visiting Bwindi for your gorilla safari trek, and combining it with Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Falls, and Kibale (chimpanzee safari) alongside your city tour visits of Kampala and Entebbe.
You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas such as Mgahinga to track down golden monkeys and gorillas in the same park, Jinja for whitewater rafting on the Nile River, and Semliki, Lake Mburo or Kidepo for an offbeat wildlife tour.
You can end your vacation on the beach at Lake Victoria or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.
Best Safari Planning Ideas & Trip Experiences For UgandaBelow are guide references on how to plan each of the below safari experience in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each trip planning experience.READ MORE
TRAVEL PLANNING GUIDE FOR UGANDA
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO UGANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance For Your Travels In Uganda? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT A UGANDA VACATION EXPERT
EXPLORE MORE ON NATIONAL PARKS, CAMPS, LODGES, LAKE HOTELS & RESORTS IN UGANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED EASTERN AFRICA FOR A SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE UGANDA TRIP REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisMasai Mara Horseback Riding Safari In Kenya Published By AfricanMecca Safaris | ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +