BEST UGANDA NATIONAL PARKS & WILDLIFE RESERVE GUIDE
Learn More On AfricanMecca Safari Tier Ratings & ExperiencesREAD MORE ON TRAVEL GUIDE FOR UGANDA
Which Are The Best Uganda National Parks & Reserves To Visit In 2023-2024?Uganda has diverse wildlife parks and reserves. Below are AfricanMecca's Top 10 safari wilderness to visit in Uganda ranked by priority. The Top 10 guide references on how to plan your 2023-2024 safari in each of the below parks in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each wilderness area.
Summary Of Top 10 Parks, Reserves & Wilderness Areas In UgandaWondering about the best parks to visit in Uganda? Aside from lush forest parks and their fascinating primate denizens, Uganda also has distinct savannah and riverine parks and reserves where you can go on game drives and bush walks to view the plains game animals and on boating safaris to view birdlife and aquatic fauna.
The incredible natural and cultural treasures of the country are so diverse that doing your own research will only provide you a foundation of what is possible. Simply speak to your expert and experienced consultant at AfricanMecca about your Uganda travel request for your activities, budget, quality of accommodations, travel dates, logistics, special interest, and we’ll give you our best suggestions and organize your safari to the parks you would most like to experience.
- Fabulous diversity of parks and reserves created to safeguard the wildlife, natural, and cultural treasures of Uganda
- Visiting the UNESCO World Heritage site at Bwindi Impenetrable Park, one of the last refuges of the rare mountain gorillas
- Tracking chimpanzees and more than 10 different species of primates along with a rich diversity of avian life
- Plains games sightings at Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Falls, and Kidepo Valley, each with an array of distinct habitats
- Exploring the aquatic and floral biomes and their distinct fauna at Lake Mburo, Semliki, Nile River and Lake Victoria
1 & 6. Bwindi Impenetrable National Park & Mgahinga Gorilla National Park
- Tracking the particular family of the magnificent mountain gorilla family assigned to you
- Spending up to 60 minutes in the company of the primates observing their habits and behavior
- Animals habituated to the presence of humans and permit you to approach at a safe distance
Together, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park have several families that researchers have painstakingly habituated to the presence of humans — meaning they will allow you to approach and mostly ignore your presence rather than running away or seeing you as a threat. It may interest you to know that Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, one of Uganda’s great treasures, is also a UNESCO World Heritage site and habitat for an astonishing 10 species of primates. In addition to visiting the gorillas, you can take specialized treks to see some of the 350 bird species and 120 mammal species present in the park, along with other fauna.
On your safari holiday here, you will also have the opportunity to learn about the flora in these forests, which park researchers say have been flourishing here for more than 25,000 years. The landscape features more than 400 species of plants and trees hosting 200 butterflies, 28 reptiles, 28 amphibians, and 27 frog species.
2. Murchison Falls National Park
- Park created around the scenic spot where the Victoria Nile gushes through the 8-meter cleft to plunge into Devil’s Cauldron
- Sightings of four of the Big Five of Africa and diversity of riverine and delta birdlife
- Visiting Kaniyo Pabidi Forest to see the chimpanzees along with other primates and smaller fauna
Murchison Falls National Park is also proud to host four of Africa’s Big Five, missing only the rhino. In addition to aquatic birds, be on the lookout for the Goliath heron, shoebill stork, and Uganda’s national bird, the grey-crowned crane, which is always seen in pairs. In addition to wildlife sightings, the park is known for the smaller, but equally spectacular, Uhuru Falls. Explore it alongside your guide on a walking safari trip by the riverbank, watching carefully to spot the various residents of the park.
3. Kibale National Park
- Participating in the research program, Chimpanzee Habituation Experience, to study the primates more closely
- Spotting a total of 13 primate species including chimps and some of the 375 bird varieties when trekking through the forests
- Touring the Kanyanchu, Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary, and crater lakes for sightings of incredible birdlife
In addition to the chimpanzees, the park hosts 12 other primate species, along with 375 bird species, many of which you will be able to spot on your trekking safari. While tracking down chimpanzees is the prime activity to do in the forests of Kibale, you will be surprised at the various other options. Head for Kanyanchu or Bigodi Wetland Sanctuary to enjoy the superb variety of avian life. Sign up for nocturnal or daytime nature walks to view the park in a whole different light, or visit the Ndali-Kasenda Crater to revel in its spellbinding natural beauty.
You could also visit the various other crater lakes whose panoramic vistas make the treks truly worthwhile. Some of the most famous ones include Lake Nyinabulitwa, Lake Nyinambuga, Lake Nkuruba, Lake Nyamirima, and Lake Nyabikere. End your trip with an interactive cultural experience, where you can spend time with the local Batooro and Bakiga people, who have lived in the forest environs for centuries.
4. Kidepo Valley National Park
- Intensely beautiful and remote expanse despite its arid conditions all through the year
- Prime wilderness for viewing a diversity of large and small mammals with opportunities for excellent predator and prey interactions
- Checking out the Kanangorok Hot Springs and also the seasonal Kidepo River that attracts wildlife and runs during the wet season
While you enjoy the stark, striking beauty of Kidepo, your guide will help you spot carnivores such as the leopard, lion bat-eared fox, caracal, spotted hyena, side-striped jackal, wild dogs, cheetah, smaller cats, the aardwolf, and white-tailed mongoose, among other beautiful and fascinating herbivore species, such as the Rothschild’s giraffe, klipspringer, Bohor reedbuck, Burchell’s zebra, bush duiker, lesser kudu, kongoni, Guenther’s dik-dik, oribi, Jackson’s hartebeest and many more.
5. Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Striking diversity of landscapes, including savannah grasslands, highlands, crater lakes, rivers, and swamps
- Possibility of undertaking activities like game drives, birdwatching excursions, gorge treks, and boating
- Visiting the Ishasha sector to see its unique tree-climbing lions, a rare and fascinating sight, and Kyambura Gorge for tracking down a wild chimpanzee community
Your stay in Queen Elizabeth National Park would not be complete without a visit to the Ishasha sector to spot its unique tree-climbing lions, a rare and fascinating sight. You could also sign up for a sunset cruise on the Kazinga Channel to see wildlife coming down to drink on the banks, or trek to the Kyambura Gorge to view the chimpanzee family thriving in its stunning, Eden-like environs. Birders will definitely want to visit the Maramagambo Forest and Mweya Peninsula for their rich avian variety.
7. Semliki Wildlife Reserve
- First protected area to open to visitors in Uganda in 1926 as Toro Semliki Wildlife Reserve
- Experience activities like game drives, nature walks, boating, and hiking to the Nyaburogo Gorge
- Fantastic distinct of wildlife like birds, primates, grazers, and herbivores including the option of participating in the Chimpanzee Research Project
You are likely to encounter grazers such as the buffalo, reedbuck, Ugandan kob, bushbuck, and waterbuck, as well as warthogs, forest elephants, and the rare bushbabies. Among the other primates, black and white colobus monkeys, olive baboons, red-tailed monkeys, and vervet monkeys abound here. As for predators, the park is known for its rare sightings of leopards and nocturnal white-tailed mongooses. The park is a delightful haven for birdwatchers, thanks to the gorgeous 440 varieties of avian species that call Semliki Reserve home e.g. elusive red-throated bee-eaters, blue-headed coucals, shoebill storks, and Blue-cheeked bee-eaters, along with more common species.
8. Lake Mburo National Park
- Known for the stunning diversity of landscapes like papyrus wetlands, rocky crests, open savannah, small gorges, and lush forests
- Smallest protected park in Uganda hosting 68 species of mammals and birds highly recommended for family tours. Has various lakes that attracts animal life
- Guests can experience a wide selection of adventurous activities e.g mountain biking, horseback riding, safari, bush walks, boat trips, day and night game drives, and cultural tours
When it comes to the predators, you might be lucky enough to spot hyenas and leopards, along with lions, which appear to be making a comeback according to recent sightings by travelers in the park. The 5 lakes within the park boundaries are teeming with crocodiles and hippos. Lake Mburo Park is highly recommended to families with children as it offers unique activities such as mountain biking, horseback riding, safari, bush walks, boat trips, day and night game drives, cultural interactions with the Banyankole Bahima tribe, and a visit to wildlife hides.
9. Lake Victoria
- Originally called Lake Nyanza and the second-largest lake in the world
- Opportunity to stay on one of the 84 islands of the Ssese Archipelago amidst the lake
- Excursions like sunbathing, fishing for Nile Perch, boating, and birding
10. Nile River Near Jinja
- Discovered by John Speke in the 1860s during his quest for the source of the Nile River
- Aqua activities like white water rafting, kayaking, fishing, stand-up paddleboarding, and river swimming
- Extend out on a horseback, mountain biking or trekking excursions in and around Mabira Forest and Bujagali Falls
Uganda Country Rating By AfricanMecca
Users (0 votes) 0
Learn More On AfricanMecca Safari Tier Ratings & Experiences
Write A Trip Review For Your Safari Park In Uganda
CONTACT AND TALK TO OUR SAFARI EXPERTS TODAY TO KICK-START YOUR TOUR PLANNING PROCESS
Request Uganda Custom Or Tailor-Made Safari Pricing Based On Your Specific Travel Dates At Your Preferred Safari Tier Camp Or LodgeCONTACT AN EXPERT ON UGANDA SAFARI PRICES & TOURS
Read More +
SAFARI PRICES FOR UGANDA
Review individual itineraries and prices of our suggested Uganda safaris with the option of customizing your Africa tour based on your needs and preferences.
Read More +
HOW TO PLAN UGANDA SAFARI?
How to plan Top 11 Uganda safari trips from gorilla and chimpanzee primate treks, photographic, family, romantic honeymoons tours to hiking trails, birdwatching, luxury tour, private and custom tour.
Read More +
PARKS & RESERVES IN UGANDA
Review information on wildlife safari parks, reserves and lakes in Uganda i.e. Bwindi, Queen Elizabeth, Kibale, Murchison Falls, Kidepo Valley, Mgahinga, Semliki, and Lake Mburo
Read More +
ACCOMMODATIONS - LODGES, CAMPS, HOTELS IN UGANDA
Review information on safari lodges and camps, city hotels, lakeside resorts in Uganda's pristine wilderness, cities, lake beach shores and idyllic forests.
Read More +
BEST TIME TO VISIT UGANDA ON A SAFARI VACATION
Review details on the best time to go to Uganda to visit its various wildlife outback, forests, beachside lakes, cities and towns, mountains and other wildernesses.
Read More +
UGANDA GORILLA TREK & CHIMPANZEE SAFARIS
Experience the opportunity to track down endangered mountain gorillas of Bwindi and Mgahinga National Parks and other primates like chimpanzees and monkeys of Kibale, Kyambura Gorge, Budongo and Semliki.
Read More +
UGANDA COUNTRY PROFILE
Review country information and travel tips on Uganda i.e. geography, culture, history, climate, tipping guide, what to pack and wear, entry requirements and more.
Read More +
TOP 10 REASONS TO VISIT UGANDA
There are infinite reasons to visit Uganda e.g distinct gorilla and chimpanzee parks, one stop affordable safari destination, big game and birding paradise, diverse activities, mountain climbing etc.
Read More +
AFRICAN SAFARI PRICES
Check out safari prices and itineraries for parks and reserves in other African countries e.g. Tanzania, Kenya, Rwanda, Botswana, South Africa, Zambia etc. Namibia, Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe are available on request.
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
Jambo Altaf and Raza! We are back on earth now after our fabulous honeymoon. This is to say THANK YOU so much for organising a week in Kenya that we will never forget.....!
Dr Krina Zondervan, Oxford University - United Kingdom
Jambo Raza!!! The safari trip was spectacular! Everything went off without a hitch. We loved the Masai Mara. The migration was awesome. You listened to what I wanted and delivered it perfectly.
Judi & Chaim Platt - Toronto, Canada
I cannot say enough about the quality of AfricanMecca. Their teams in Kenya and Tanzania were top notch. Raza, again thanks to you and your entire organization! We will be repeat customers.
Dan Kobick - Managing Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers - New York, United States
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you..
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING & TOUR HOLIDAY IDEA UGANDA FOR 2023-2024
We recommend visiting Bwindi for your gorilla safari trek, and combining it with Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Falls, and Kibale (chimpanzee safari) alongside your city tour visits of Kampala and Entebbe.
You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas such as Mgahinga to track down golden monkeys and gorillas in the same park, Jinja for whitewater rafting on the Nile River, and Semliki, Lake Mburo or Kidepo for an offbeat wildlife tour.
You can end your vacation on the beach at Lake Victoria or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.
Best Safari Planning Ideas & Trip Experiences For UgandaBelow are guide references on how to plan each of the below safari experience in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each trip planning experience.
1. How To Plan Uganda Safari Trips? (Summary)
2. Wildlife Safari Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
3. Private & Tailor-Made Safaris Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
4. Honeymoon Safaris Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
5. Family Safaris Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
6. Luxury Safaris Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
7. Photo Safaris Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
8. Cultural Safaris Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
9. Gorilla, Chimpanzee & Primate Safaris Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
10. Hike, Trek & Bush Walk Safaris Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
11. Birding Safaris Trip Planning Guide For Uganda
12. Wedding Safaris Trip Planning Guide For UgandaREAD MORE
TRAVEL PLANNING GUIDE FOR UGANDA
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO UGANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance For Your Travels In Uganda? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT A UGANDA VACATION EXPERT
EXPLORE MORE ON NATIONAL PARKS, CAMPS, LODGES, LAKE HOTELS & RESORTS IN UGANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED EASTERN AFRICA FOR A SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE UGANDA TRIP REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca Safaris
Baggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In AfricaBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca Safaris
Masai Mara Horseback Riding Safari In Kenya With AfricanMeccaMasai Mara Horseback Riding Safari In Kenya Published By AfricanMecca Safaris | ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca Safaris
Times Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet UpTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +