GUIDE ON KIDEPO VALLEY NATIONAL PARK IN UGANDA
Kidepo Valley Park Introduction - Location, Wildlife & HistoryThe beauty of Kidepo Valley National Park is bound to take your breath away, despite its generally arid conditions. A desolate wilderness, the park captivates with its sprawling savannah grasslands, dotted with rocky crags, sausage trees, and acacia trees. Covering an area of 1442 square kilometers, the park does not feature prominently on the African tourist circuit, a factor that only adds to its allure. You will revel in the serenity of visiting environs that aren’t prone to drawing large, noisy crowds of safari holiday tourists. Kidepo Valley National Park (where to stay) lies at the northernmost corner of Uganda and comprises the Morungole highlands, bordered by the Kidepo Valley and Narus Valley. Both of the rivers that carved out these valleys are seasonal in nature, flowing only during the wet season.
During the dry season, the Kidepo River leaves behind beds of light brown sand that you can explore this part of Uganda on a walking safari excursion. You can also see the copses of Borassus, Kigelia, and other riverine vegetation that thrive beside the pools left behind by the vanishing seasonal river. Surprisingly, abundant wildlife thrives in these arid-like conditions. Your AfricanMecca assigned guide will talk to you about some of the 77 species of mammals that can be seen here, including four of the Big Five of Africa: the lion, leopard, buffalo, and elephant. Kidepo National Park also hosts more than 475 kinds of birds, 60 of which cannot be spotted in any other location in Uganda e.g. Bwindi, Kibale, Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Falls etc. When traveling in the park, you are likely to find a higher concentration of animals in the Narus Valley, since it has more of the pools and swamps where they can drink.
Altitudes in Kidepo Valley National Park range from 914 meters to 2750 meters above sea level, with the Apoka area lying in the heart of the park and Mount Morungole forming its highest point. Much of the landscape is covered by semi-desert vegetation, including open thorn-bush, open thorn-scrub, and both long and short grasses. Safari photography travelers who are enthusiastic who choose to vacation in this remote wilderness of Uganda will be delighted by the kaleidoscope of contrasting colors the park presents: blue skies, green and golden grasses, red termite mounds, and the rich hues of the wildlife that abound.
- Heart-breakingly beautiful, desolate landscape with savannah grasslands dotted with sparse vegetation
- Home to a surprisingly rich diversity of wildlife that thrives in these regions. 77 species of mammals, 475 kinds of birds, of which 60 can only be seen in this park
- Tranquil and serene vacation destination with low tourist crowds
- Located on the northernmost area of Uganda and includes the Morungole highlands. Watered by two seasonal rivers that create the Kidepo Valley and Narus Valley
- Photographer’s paradise displaying a kaleidoscope of colors that are truly spectacular to see
Watch Video On Kidepo Valley Safari Experiences
Page Content - Start Here
|1. What Are The Wildlife Experiences In Kidepo Valley National Park?|
|What Are The Areas Of Interest In Kidepo Valley National Park|
|2. Exploring Kidepo Valley’s Scenic Ecology|
|3. Narus Valley’s Wilderness Oasis|
|4. Visiting The Borassus Palm Forests & Kanangorok Hot Springs|
|5. The Vistas Of Mount Morungole|
|6. The Birding Hotspot Of Namamukweny Valley|
|7. The Tribal Lands Of Kidepo|
1. What Are The Wildlife Experiences In Kidepo Valley National Park?
- 77 species of mammals, 475 kinds of birds, of which 60 can only be seen in this park
- Four of the Big Five of Africa can be seen here
- A higher concentration of wildlife in the Narus Valley thanks to a number of pools and swamps
What Are The Areas Of Interest In Kidepo Valley National Park?
2. Exploring Kidepo Valley’s Scenic Ecology
- Drives along the dry beds of the Kidepo Valley and Narus Valley to admire the striking sand river
- Trail passes through Apoka and cuts through rocky kopjes before dipping into the valley and plains
- Kanangorok Hot Springs known for its sightings of ostriches foraging for food
3. Narus Valley’s Wilderness Oasis
- Nestled in the highlands and magnet for wildlife all year round thanks to water sources
- Four game drives tracks for spotting big cats and their game prey
- Drives to Katurum kopje for spell-binding views of the Morungole Mountains
4. Visiting The Borassus Palm Forests & Kanangorok Hot Springs
- Region for the scenic sand river beds that are visible in the dry seasons
- Walking tours to the Borassus palm forests where the Borassus fruit is harvested, which is used for making fermented palm beer
- Kanangorok Hot Springs that can be reached with an 11-kilometer trek through scenic locales
5. The Vistas Of Mount Morungole
- Mount Morungole marking the highest point in the park at 2750 meters above sea level
- Seasonal Kidepo River and Narus River flowing through the ranges during the wet seasons
- Home to the elusive Ik people with a unique culture
6. The Birding Hotspot Of Namamukweny Valley
- Taking its name from the Napore language meaning, “a place with no birds” or “a lonely place with few people”
- Teeming with birdlife and prime birdwatching locale
- Area can be explored by way of walking tours
7. The Tribal Lands Of Kidepo
- Home to the Karamoja people who are cattle owners and subsistence farmers
- Ik tribe living on the slopes of Mount Morungole following a hunter-gatherer lifestyle
- Several walking trails to spot the varied birdlife and superb vistas of the park
Kidepo Valley Park Rating By AfricanMecca
Users (0 votes) 0
Write A Trip Review On Kidepo Valley In Uganda
Read More +
WHERE & BEST PLACES TO STAY IN KIDEPO VALLEY
Kidepo Valley has limited quality camps and lodges. AfricanMecca only recommends Apoka Safari Lodge that affords a a rustic luxury Premier Tier 1 Safari rating. It offers a pleasing, hospitable ambiance.
Read More +
SAFARI & TOUR IN KIDEPO VALLEY PARK
Kidepo is a wilderness park that captivates visitors with its seemingly endless plains, grazing animals, and gorgeous birds. You will have the opportunity to view the amazing creatures during game drives or walks.
Read More +
BEST TIME TO VISIT KIDEPO VALLEY PARK
The typical weather conditions at Kidepo Valley are different from the usual in Uganda. This is primarily due to the hot semi-arid climate based on its location. September to February are the best times to visit.
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
AfricanMecca Safaris created a remarkable honeymoon tailored to our interests and desires. The quality of service and delivery of experience was unsurpassed. I highly recommend AfricanMecca Safaris to honeymooners, families, or any traveler.
Noorin & Jason Nelson - Maryland, United States
I booked my safari holiday through AfricanMecca. They were the most helpful company I have ever dealt with and I work within the travel industry. I had the most amazing time. The holiday went as clockwork with no hitches anywhere.
Shelley Roberts - Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you.
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
We have returned from our African adventure and would like to thank you very much for your part in making this such a wonderful experience. We were lucky enough to time the Great Migration from the Serengeti, which was amazing.
Denise Paterson - Belmont, Australia
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING TRIP IDEA FOR KIDEPO VALLEY IN UGANDA
When visiting Kidepo for your wildlife safari, we recommend combining it with Bwindi Park for your gorilla safari trek, Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Falls and Kibale (chimpanzee safari) alongside your city tour visits of Kampala and Entebbe.
You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas such as Mgahinga to track down golden monkeys and gorillas in the same park, Jinja for whitewater rafting on the Nile River, and Semliki or Lake Mburo for an offbeat wildlife tour.
You can end your vacation on the beach at Lake Victoria or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.
Best Safari Planning Ideas & Trip Experiences For UgandaBelow are guide references on how to plan each of the below safari experience in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each trip planning experience.READ MORE
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO KIDEPO VALLEY IN UGANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance For Your Travels In Kidepo Valley ? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT AN AFRICA TRAVEL EXPERT ON KIDEPO VALLEY NATIONAL PARK
KIDEPO VALLEY CAMPS & LODGES
EXPLORE MORE ON KIDEPO VALLEY NATIONAL PARK IN UGANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED KIDEPO VALLEY FOR AN AFRICA SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE KIDEPO VALLEY REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisHorseback Riding Safari In Masai Mara (Kenya) Published By AfricanMecca Safaris ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +