GUIDE ON LAKE MBURO NATIONAL PARK IN UGANDA
Lake Mburo Park Introduction - Location, Wildlife & HistoryAs you travel along the highway connecting Kampala with western Uganda’s national parks, you’ll discover a small but rich haven of wildlife in Lake Mburo National Park (safari activities). Located close to the main artery, this reserve is the smallest of all the parks in the country but it has significant socioeconomic importance. It’s a place that reveals the impact of a single species’ disappearance on the region’s ecosystem. Originally a landscape of savannah grasslands, the park now has a lush forest covering due to the absence of elephants, whose foraging once kept tree growth at bay. In addition to woodlands, the topography also features gorges and rocky ridges. Spend some safari vacation time in this part of Africa where you will also discover riparian forests growing around the lakes, and papyrus-dominated wetlands.
- Located on the highway connecting Kampala with the reserves on the west of Uganda
- Smallest park in the country, but of significant importance
- Showcases diverse landscapes like riparian forests, woodlands, gorges rocky ridges, swamps and papyrus-lined lakes
Watch Video On Lake Mburo Safari Experiences
Page Content - Start Here
|1. What Are The Wildlife Experiences In Lake Mburo National Park?|
|What Are The Areas Of Interest In Lake Mburo National Park|
|2. The Beautiful, Diverse & Aquatic Ecology Of Lake Mburo|
|3. Sustainable Conservation At Lake Mburo|
1. What Are The Wildlife Experiences In Lake Mburo National Park?
- Only location in Uganda that has numbers of impala, also has various other grazers
- Birdwatchers’ haven showcasing more than 350 species of avian life
- Lakes abounding with hippos, crocodiles, rare cichlids, a fish species and aquatic birds
Animals Of Lake Mburo Park - Big Cats - Predators, Grazers - Herbivores & PrimatesThe Lake Mburo National Park that you see today is a result of the efforts of the National Resistance Movement (NRM) government, which redefined its boundaries in 1986. Although it now covers less than half of its original area, it more than makes up for that with a stunning variety of animal and birdlife. On your game drive trips in Lake Mburo Park, you’ll have a chance to see various species of grazers, including reedbucks, topi, Defassa waterbuck, oribi, buffalos, elands, impalas, zebras, giraffes and many more. The park is, in fact, the only place in Uganda where you’ll see impalas.
Birdwatching enthusiasts will enjoy spotting some of the over 350 species that thrive here, including 22 migrating birds. On your birding tour in Uganda with AfricanMecca, you will also have the opportunity to view the rare shoebill stork, red-faced barbet, and African finfoot. The lakes thrive with rare cichlids, along with aquatic birds, crocodiles, and hippos. Primates such as vervet monkeys and galagos can be seen too.
What Are The Areas Of Interest In Lake Mburo National Park?
2. The Beautiful, Diverse & Aquatic Ecology Of Lake Mburo
- Comprises of a network of 13 lakes, of which 5 are located within the park’s boundaries
- Lakes and swamplands combining to create an ecosystem of water bodies that is 50 kilometers (31 miles) long
- Bedrock made with 500-million-year-old Precambrian rock
3. Sustainable Conservation At Lake Mburo
- Balanced sustainability between the Banyankole Bahima tribe and park’s preservation goals
- The park’s history strengthens its future existence
- A good example for renewed conservation for the rest of Uganda and Africa
Fishing from the lakes also offers a major source of food. In 1933, the reserve was slated as a Controlled Hunting Area, and it was given national park status in 1983. However, strife between the former ruling Obote government and local people took its toll on the reserve and its residents, and much of the wildlife and vegetation was destroyed. This is now slowly reversing with the forward looking government in Uganda. The wildlife of Lake Mburo and its renewed ecology are getting back to its former glory every day.
Lake Mburo Park Rating By AfricanMecca
Users (0 votes) 0
Write A Trip Review On Lake Mburo In Uganda
Read More +
WHERE & BEST PLACES TO STAY IN LAKE MBURO
Lake Mburo has limited quality camps and lodges. AfricanMecca only recommends Mihingo Lodge that affords a mid-range Deluxe Tier 2 Safari rating. It offers a tented lodge experience with diverse activities.
Read More +
SAFARI & TOUR IN LAKE MBURO
Lake Mburo Park offer many activities such as horse riding safaris, biking, bush walks, day and night game drives, boat trips, cultural interactions with the Banyankole Bahima tribe, visit to wildlife hides.
Read More +
BEST TIME TO VISIT LAKE MBURO
Like most locations in Africa, Lake Mburo National Park has two wet rainy seasons and two dry seasons. December to February, June to August are the best times to visit Lake Mburo Park in Uganda.
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
AfricanMecca Safaris created a remarkable honeymoon tailored to our interests and desires. The quality of service and delivery of experience was unsurpassed. I highly recommend AfricanMecca Safaris to honeymooners, families, or any traveler.
Noorin & Jason Nelson - Maryland, United States
I booked my safari holiday through AfricanMecca. They were the most helpful company I have ever dealt with and I work within the travel industry. I had the most amazing time. The holiday went as clockwork with no hitches anywhere.
Shelley Roberts - Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you.
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
We have returned from our African adventure and would like to thank you very much for your part in making this such a wonderful experience. We were lucky enough to time the Great Migration from the Serengeti, which was amazing.
Denise Paterson - Belmont, Australia
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING TRIP IDEA FOR LAKE MBURO IN UGANDA
When visiting Lake Mburo for your wildlife safari, we recommend combining it with Bwindi Park for your gorilla safari trek, Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Falls and Kibale (chimpanzee safari) alongside your city tour visits of Kampala and Entebbe.
You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas such as Mgahinga to track down golden monkeys and gorillas in the same park, Jinja for whitewater rafting on the Nile River, and Semliki or Kidepo for an offbeat wildlife tour.
You can end your vacation on the beach at Lake Victoria or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.
Best Safari Planning Ideas & Trip Experiences For UgandaBelow are guide references on how to plan each of the below safari experience in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each trip planning experience.READ MORE
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO LAKE MBURO IN UGANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance For Your Travels In Lake Mburo ? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT AN AFRICA TRAVEL EXPERT ON LAKE MBURO NATIONAL PARK
LAKE MBURO CAMPS & LODGES
EXPLORE MORE ON LAKE MBURO NATIONAL PARK IN UGANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED LAKE MBURO FOR AN AFRICA SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE LAKE MBURO REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisHorseback Riding Safari In Masai Mara (Kenya) Published By AfricanMecca Safaris ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +