BEST TIME TO VISIT MGAHINGA PARK FOR A UGANDA GORILLA SAFARI TREK
Best Time, Seasons & Months To Go Gorilla Trekking In Mgahinga?One of the first questions visitors planning a gorilla trekking vacation in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park ask is: When is the best time to visit the primate reserve? It will interest you to know that temperatures don’t vary much in these regions, and you can visit at any time of the year. The highest daytime temperatures range from 22 C (72 F) to 24 C (75 F), while the lowest temperatures during the night may remain between 10 C (50 F) and 12 C (54 F). More relevant to your question is the wet/dry cycle. Similar to the rest of the continent, the reserve experiences two dry seasons and two wet seasons.
Different Monthly Seasons At Mgahinga - Dry, Hot, Wet Rainy & Cool
- Dry Months, Best Time & Peak Season For Mgahinga: June, July, and August. Note September is peak season but is also part of the wet rainy season.
- Dry & Wet Rainy Months, Very Good Time & High Season For Mgahinga: End of December, January, and early parts of February.
- Wet Rainy Months, Good Time & Mid-Peak Season For Mgahinga: March and September are both rainy periods though September is also a peak period with high number of visitors into Mgahinga. These months are also the start of the lush green season.
- Wet Rainy Season, Least Best Time & Low Season For Mgahinga: April, May, October, and November.
- Hot & Cool Months: There is only 1-2 Celsius degrees variation in temperature in between months at Mgahinga. January, February and September are the hottest months with highs of 24 C (75 F) during the day and lows of 11 C (52 F) at night while June and July are the coolest months with highs of 22 C (72 F) during the day and lows of 10 C (50 F) at night. All other months have a range from 22 C (72 F) to 24 C (75 F) during the daytime while nighttime temperatures average from 10 C (50 F) and 12 C (54 F).
- Best Time For Birdwatching Safaris In Mgahinga: The best time for birding safaris in Mgahinga is from the end of May to September. The migratory birds arrive in November and leave by April.
- Best time to visit Mgahinga is in the long dry season starting in June into July and August
- The wet seasons offers low footfall, lush greenery, superb birdwatching and discounted room prices
- Possibility of viewing mountain gorillas all through the year, though they typically remain in the lower slopes during the wet seasons
- Dry season increases more visitor arrivals since the months coincide with the summer months of the northern hemisphere when schools are closed
- Highest daytime temperatures ranging from 22 C (72 F) to 24 C (75 F) and lowest temperatures during the night between 10 C (50 F) and 12 C (54 F)
Climate, Temperatures & Weather Conditions For MgahingaWhen booking safari tours to Mgahinga Gorilla Park for our clients, we understand that the focus of their trip will primarily be visiting the rare and magnificent mountain gorillas. We typically recommend that our guests plan their Uganda vacation (best time to go) during the long dry season of Mgahinga. This period is also the best time to visit the park, and begins in the month of June and lasts all through July and August. During these months, there is less rainfall, which is why the trails are less muddy, and trekking takes less time. You can also opt to visit in September, which is also a peak season. Although the weather is likely to be wet and rainy, it is the best time for birdwatching and enjoying the lush greenery of Mgahinga.
The short dry season lasts in the months of December, January, and the first couple of weeks in February. These months are also a very good time to visit since there are only intermittent showers, and for the most part, your safari vacation will be filled with sightings of gorgeous primates. Do keep in mind that global warming has made weather conditions uncertain in all parts of the world, including Africa.
Visiting Mgahinga During the Dry Seasons - Is It The Best Time To Go On Safari?The long dry season in Mgahinga is the best time to visit and starts in June to August. The short dry season occurs in the months of January and February, and is again a very good time to travel in Mgahinga Park. Dry seasons are typically preferred by guests touring the park who come from North America and Europe. Those seasons coincide with school vacations, making this the perfect time to introduce children over 15 years to the wonders of the natural world. During this season, you are likely to encounter fewer bugs, which lowers the risk of malaria. Further, the vegetation is more sparse, so you might find that following the forest trails on gorilla tracking excursions is easier. There is an increase in tourist arrivals in Uganda during the dry months.
Wet Rainy Seasons in MgahingaMgahinga Gorilla National Park transforms into a veritable Eden in the wet seasons. The rains bring with them a fresh burst of vegetation, and the park seems to take on a spectacular beauty. You will also find that there are fewer crowds, and the accommodation offers discounted rates on rooms, making a safari holiday during this time cheaper. If this is something you would prefer, plan your visit in the months of March, April, and May, when the long rains fall. The short rains begin in September. October, and last all of November until mid-December.
If you are looking for a break from the harsh winters of the northern hemisphere, a trip in Africa during that time offers balmy relief. You can enjoy a unique safari holiday with your family in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park. Keep in mind that even in the wet seasons, it does not rain continuously throughout the day. There are some days when the skies are clear, or it may rain in specific pockets, leaving other areas dry. Your consultant at AfricanMecca Safaris may also help organize your tour according to the particular activities you have in mind.
Planning Activities In The Wet Rainy Season At MgahingaFor instance, if you want to track gorillas, you may want to choose the wet season, when there is more availability of food on the lower slopes, and the gorillas are less likely to wander too far away. The primates also seem to avoid the higher slopes when it’s cooler. But you should prepare yourself to deal with muddy tracks and rains, which is minimal or even absent during the dry season. Access roads during the wet season also take longer to traverse. However, if it is primarily birdwatching in Uganda and lush greenery you are coming for to photograph on safari, the rainy season months of April to early May and October to early November is a very good time to visit Mgahinga Gorilla National Park for specifically your birding safari. Migratory birds arrive in Uganda from the northern hemisphere around November and depart by April. The Batwa Cultural Trail is also available during the rainy period.
Mgahinga Park Rating By AfricanMecca
Users (0 votes) 0
Write A Trip Review On Mgahinga In Uganda
Read More +
GUIDE ON MGAHINGA PARK
Mgahinga Gorilla National Park is part of the greater Virunga Conservation Area, a 434-square-kilometer (167 square miles) swath of protected land that encompasses parts of Uganda, Rwanda, and Congo.
Read More +
WHERE & BEST PLACES TO STAY IN MGAHINGA
Mgahinga only has one proper tourist accommodation that AfricanMecca Safaris can recommend i.e. Mount Gahinga Lodge which offers a deluxe, rustic ambiance with just 8 rondavel-style banda rooms.
Read More +
SAFARI & TOUR IN MGAHINGA
The primary two activities at Mgahinga Park are gorilla trekking and golden monkeys experience. Other tours are birdwatching excursions, gorge and caldera hikes, Batwa cultural trail, climb Virunga Volcanoes etc.
Read More +
GORILLA FAMILY GROUPS IN MGAHINGA
Should you plan a gorilla viewing safari to Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, you will learn that the park has only one resident gorilla family that is habituated to the presence of humans.
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
AfricanMecca Safaris created a remarkable honeymoon tailored to our interests and desires. The quality of service and delivery of experience was unsurpassed. I highly recommend AfricanMecca Safaris to honeymooners, families, or any traveler.
Noorin & Jason Nelson - Maryland, United States
I booked my safari holiday through AfricanMecca. They were the most helpful company I have ever dealt with and I work within the travel industry. I had the most amazing time. The holiday went as clockwork with no hitches anywhere.
Shelley Roberts - Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you.
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
We have returned from our African adventure and would like to thank you very much for your part in making this such a wonderful experience. We were lucky enough to time the Great Migration from the Serengeti, which was amazing.
Denise Paterson - Belmont, Australia
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING TRIP IDEA FOR MGAHINGA IN UGANDA
When visiting Mgahinga Park for your gorilla safari trek, we recommend combining it with Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Falls, and Kibale (chimpanzee safari) alongside your city tour visits of Kampala and Entebbe.
You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas such as Bwindi to track down gorillas in a different park, Jinja for whitewater rafting on the Nile River, and Semliki, Lake Mburo or Kidepo for an offbeat wildlife tour.
You can end your vacation on the beach at Lake Victoria or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.
Best Safari Planning Ideas & Trip Experiences For UgandaBelow are guide references on how to plan each of the below safari experience in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each trip planning experience.READ MORE
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO MGAHINGA IN UGANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance For Your Travels In Mgahinga ? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT AN AFRICA TRAVEL EXPERT ON MGAHINGA GORILLA NATIONAL PARK
MGAHINGA CAMPS & LODGES
EXPLORE MORE ON MGAHINGA GORILLA NATIONAL PARK IN UGANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED MGAHINGA FOR AN AFRICA SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE MGAHINGA REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisHorseback Riding Safari In Masai Mara (Kenya) Published By AfricanMecca Safaris ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +