BEST TIME TO VISIT KIDEPO VALLEY FOR A UGANDA SAFARI
Best Time, Seasons & Months To Go On Safari In Kidepo Valley?It may interest you to know, when planning a vacation in Kidepo Valley National Park, that the typical weather conditions here are different from the usual in Uganda. As your tour consultant at AfricanMecca Safaris will explain, the park has just one long wet season with minimal rain and one dry season. During the day, you can expect average daytime temperatures to range from 30ºC to 34ºC in the dry-hot months of January, February, and March with some days ranging from 35ºC+ onwards. In the wet-cool months, daytime temperatures are likely to range between 25º degrees and 29ºC. However, nighttime temperatures may vary between 16ºC and 20ºC all through the year.
Different Monthly Seasons At Kidepo Valley - Dry, Hot, Wet Rainy & CoolNote On Wet Rainy Season For Kidepo Valley National Park: In comparison to other parks like Queen Elizabeth National Park, Murchison Falls National Falls and Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, the precipitation in millimeters is very less in Kidepo National Park. This is primarily due to the hot semi-arid climate based on its geographical location in northern Uganda. Expect thunderstorms during the rainy season.
- Dry Months, Best Time & High Season For Kidepo: September, October, November, December, January and February are the driest, most humid and hottest months but not the peak season of travel in Uganda (except September). Expect few guests compared to the peak season.
- Dry & Wet Rainy Months, Very Good Time & Peak Season For Kidepo: July and August offer a mixture of dry and wet periods with high numbers of visitors into Kidepo.
- Wet Rainy Months, Good Time & Mid-High Season For Kidepo: March and June are both rainy and peak periods with fewer numbers of tourists into Kidepo.
- Wet Rainy Season, Least Best Time & Low Season For Kidepo: April and May. These months are also part of the lush green season.
- Hot & Cool Months: There is only 1-4 Celsius degrees variation in temperature in between months at Kidepo. January and February are the hottest months with highs of 34 C (93 F) during the day and lows of 20 C (68 F) at night while June to August are the coolest months with highs of 29 C (84 F) during the day and lows of 16 C (61 F) at night. All other months have a range from 30 C (86 F) to 33 C (91 F) during the daytime while nighttime temperatures average from 17 C (62 F) to 19 C (66 F).
- Best Time For Birdwatching Safaris In Kidepo: The best time for birding safaris in Kidepo Park is from March and April when the dry season transits to the wet season though the park offers excellent all-year round birding opportunities due to semi-arid ecology. The migratory birds arrive in November and leave by April. The rainy months of April to August bring an abundance of food that leads to a lot of avian activity though very few trails can be slippery due to its arid ecology, and also few of the roads and its airstrip can sometimes be challenging to access during rainy peak days.
- Daytime temperatures ranging from 30ºC to 34ºC during the dry season and 25ºC to 29ºC during the wet season. The nighttime temperatures ranges from 16ºC and 20ºC
- Best time to visit is in the dry season that lasts from September and all through to March, vegetation is sparser, and sighting animals around watering holes is easier. July and August are the next best months to visit as the rainy period transits to the dry period.
- Wet season months of April to June has an explosion of greenery and lush vegetation lending a gorgeous avatar to the park
- Opportunity to spend harsh northern winters on vacation in the warmer climes of Kidepo
- Touring during the wet season is more economical because of reduced room fares though accessing the park can be a challenge as flights to Kidepo are limited, and the road conditions are not suitable for the long 12-14 hour drives from Kampala or Entebbe
Visiting Kidepo Valley During the Dry Seasons - Is It The Best Time To Go On Safari Based On Climate, Temperatures & Weather Conditions?With its hot-warm climate, Kidepo Valley National Park is perfect for a safari holiday in Uganda at any time of the year. The wet season in the park begins at the end of March and continues through April to parts of August. Given that the park gets less rain in the months of September and October, these months are the best time to go. As the wet season nears the end, the weather is ideal for a visit, being neither too warm nor too wet. The dry season in Kidepo begins in September and lasts all through October to mid-March. You may want to plan your trip in these months, since the climate is dry, there are fewer bugs, and the risk of malaria is low. Vegetation in the park is sparser, and you can view the animals more easily as they congregate around the watering holes to drink.
Wet Seasons In Kidepo Valley Park & How To Plan Activities During The Rainy Period?Depending on your itinerary schedule for Kidepo, you can also book a trip in the wet season. In fact, many guests prefer this time because hotels and accommodations offer discounted room rates for the off-season. In addition, during the rains, the landscape takes on a rich, green look with an abundance of vegetation, making it breathtakingly beautiful to see. You may also have the opportunity to see the rivers flowing in the wet season and enjoy their beauty. As your guide will warn you, however, spotting animals and birds may take more time and effort, because they’re not likely to visit the watering holes as much.
Even during the wet season in Kidepo Valley National Park, tour activities continue as usual due to its semi-arid climate and ecology. We will work around to schedule your game drives and walking safaris to avoid the rains where possible. Once the showers stop, the sun comes out, and you can resume your activities as before. Just be prepared for muddier roads during the wet season, which make logistics somewhat time-consuming.
Other Considerations When Planning Your Safari Dates For Kidepo Valley ParkThe peak season in Kidepo Valley National Park coincides with the summer months of the north hemisphere, and if you are thinking of getting your kids to Africa to introduce them to the wonders of wildlife, this would be the best time to go. During the harsh winters in Europe and North America, it is dry and warm in the park, again making it an excellent time to plan your travel. You could also consider spending the December festive holidays on safari with your family in Uganda.
Kidepo Valley Park Rating By AfricanMecca
Users (0 votes) 0
Write A Trip Review On Kidepo Valley In Uganda
Read More +
KIDEPO VALLEY NATIONAL PARK GUIDE
The beauty of Kidepo Valley Park is bound to take your breath away, despite its generally arid conditions. A desolate wilderness that hosts 77 species of mammals including four of the Big Five of Africa.
Read More +
WHERE & BEST PLACES TO STAY IN KIDEPO VALLEY
Kidepo Valley has limited quality camps and lodges. AfricanMecca only recommends Apoka Safari Lodge that affords a a rustic luxury Premier Tier 1 Safari rating. It offers a pleasing, hospitable ambiance.
Read More +
SAFARI & TOUR IN KIDEPO VALLEY PARK
Kidepo is a wilderness park that captivates visitors with its seemingly endless plains, grazing animals, and gorgeous birds. You will have the opportunity to view the amazing creatures during game drives or walks.
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
AfricanMecca Safaris created a remarkable honeymoon tailored to our interests and desires. The quality of service and delivery of experience was unsurpassed. I highly recommend AfricanMecca Safaris to honeymooners, families, or any traveler.
Noorin & Jason Nelson - Maryland, United States
I booked my safari holiday through AfricanMecca. They were the most helpful company I have ever dealt with and I work within the travel industry. I had the most amazing time. The holiday went as clockwork with no hitches anywhere.
Shelley Roberts - Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you.
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
We have returned from our African adventure and would like to thank you very much for your part in making this such a wonderful experience. We were lucky enough to time the Great Migration from the Serengeti, which was amazing.
Denise Paterson - Belmont, Australia
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING TRIP IDEA FOR KIDEPO VALLEY IN UGANDA
When visiting Kidepo for your wildlife safari, we recommend combining it with Bwindi Park for your gorilla safari trek, Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Falls and Kibale (chimpanzee safari) alongside your city tour visits of Kampala and Entebbe.
You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas such as Mgahinga to track down golden monkeys and gorillas in the same park, Jinja for whitewater rafting on the Nile River, and Semliki or Lake Mburo for an offbeat wildlife tour.
You can end your vacation on the beach at Lake Victoria or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.
Best Safari Planning Ideas & Trip Experiences For UgandaBelow are guide references on how to plan each of the below safari experience in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each trip planning experience.READ MORE
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO KIDEPO VALLEY IN UGANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance For Your Travels In Kidepo Valley ? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT AN AFRICA TRAVEL EXPERT ON KIDEPO VALLEY NATIONAL PARK
KIDEPO VALLEY CAMPS & LODGES
EXPLORE MORE ON KIDEPO VALLEY NATIONAL PARK IN UGANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED KIDEPO VALLEY FOR AN AFRICA SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE KIDEPO VALLEY REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisHorseback Riding Safari In Masai Mara (Kenya) Published By AfricanMecca Safaris ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +