AUTHENTIC SAFARIS & PERSONALIZED TOURS IN MURCHISON FALLS WITH AFRICANMECCA
What Safari Attractions & Tour Activities To Experience During Your Murchison Falls Visit?Murchison Falls National Park is Uganda’s first park created and is one of the oldest conservation areas in East Africa. The park and the greater areas of MFCA covers an expanse of 5200 square kilometers (2007 square miles) and incorporates diverse landscapes including savannah grasslands, riverside forests, and copses of acacia trees and Borassus palms. As you will notice during your safari vacation in Uganda, the region’s main highlight is the legendary Nile River, which cuts through the reserve and nourishes the land with a continuous supply of water to keep it green. The river also supports a wide array of terrestrial, aquatic and avian life. Many species are making a comeback after the uncontrolled poaching during the dictatorship of Idi Amin.
- Boat safaris on the Victoria Nile River winding through the park - the main highlight and supports a rich diversity of terrestrial and avian life
- The spectacular sight of the Murchison Falls from a height of 40 meters gushing through a 7-meter wide cleft and plunging into Devil’s Cauldron. Hiking to the top of the falls to watch the waters cascading into the cleft
- Game drive safaris to sight the four of the Big Five of Africa - the lion, leopard, elephant, and Cape buffalo. Diverse land terrain supporting a stunning diversity of herbivores and predators interactions
- Walking safaris along the river bank to spot hippos and crocodiles. Nature walks to spot some of the 451 bird species and different medicinal plants and other trees
- Chimpanzee trekking safaris in the Kaniyo Pabidi Site of Budongo Forest
- Excursions to the Lake Albert Delta for birdwatching safaris - perfect place to spot a shoebill in the low swampy areas of the delta
- Sport fishing for the Nile perch, and cultural interactions with the local communities
Part of the greater Murchison Falls Conservation Area (MFCA) includes the Kaniyo Pabidi Site in the Budongo Forest and the adjoining Forest which welcomes safari guests in a distinct woodland wilderness to track down chimpanzees, which number around 600 to 800 in the area. You can also look for other primates such as the black and white colobus monkey, blue monkey, red-tailed monkey, and olive baboon. During your chimpanzee trekking safari in Uganda, you will be made all the more delightful with sightings of some of the 451 bird species that abound in the reserve. Your assigned AfricanMecca tour guide will also introduce you to the many medicinal plants and trees native to this area, along with other unique species endemic to the region.
The prime attraction of Murchison Falls National Park (best time to visit) is undoubtedly the Nile - Africa’s longest river. After tumbling over 80 kilometers (50 miles) of rapids, the river tears through Murchison Falls, a narrow cleft just 7 meters (23 feet) wide, before pouring into the Devil’s Cauldron. The force of the river is such that it sprays mist across a radius of 50 meters (164 feet). As you travel to the foot of the falls on your boat trip, you’ll be able to view the fabulous rainbow created by the mist, glistening in the bright sunshine. For a whole new facet of the falls, optionally hike to the top of the falls and watch as the waters begin their 40 meter (130 feet) cascade into the gorge.
After leaving the falls, the river transforms into a placid stream that goes west to join Lake Albert and east towards Chobe’s Karuma Falls. One of the excursions possible in Murchison Falls Park is a boat safari to the Lake Albert Delta created by the river here - perfect birding site to view the rare shoebill. As part of your safari holiday itinerary, you can also choose to go on a catch and release fishing excursion for the famous Nile perch or take a hot air balloon safari ride, where you will waft over the landscape for a bird’s-eye view of its natural beauty. Having interacted with the natural wonders of the park, complete your safari holiday in Uganda with a cultural tour visit to one of the local communities e.g. Banyoro tribe to develop an understanding of how traditional lifestyles have been deeply integrated with nature and her bounty.
Watch Video On Murchison Falls Safari Experiences
Our Top 8 Safari Activities In Murchison Falls - Things You Can Do & See
Page Content - Start Here
1. Game Drives To View The Diverse Wildlife Of Murchison Falls
- Opportunity to explore both the northern and southern banks of the river on game drives - perfect for spotting the Big 4 of Africa
- Savannah grasslands of the Buligi tracks extending to the delta where the Nile River meets Lake Albert in the west
- Option of extending your game drive east towards the Chobe area of the park
The southern bank has the distinct “Honey Moon Track”, which offers viewings of the introduced herd of giraffes (brought in from the northern bank) and several other fauna. There is also opportunity for game drive towards the eastern Chobe section - 2 hours away; though, the habitat is more dense and wildlife are skittish due to the alternate Karuma tarmac road running through the northeastern section of the park with more human activities and settlements.
2. Boat Safaris To View The Murchison Falls
- Launch rides to the foot of the Murchison Falls in the Fajao Gorge
- Each cruise lasting for around 3 hours offering sightings of diverse wildlife coming to drink on the banks
- Sundowner cruises to view the spell-binding sunset to the accompaniment of wine and cheese
While the longer cruises take you to the foot of the Murchison Falls, you can also opt for shorter river cruises. These trips allow you to enjoy the striking orange-gold of the setting sun spreading on the crystal clear waters of the Nile, a truly memorable experience that’s enhanced by sundowner drinks of wine with cheese.
3. Birdwatching Safaris On The Victoria Nile & Lake Albert Delta
- Diverse avian life thriving in the reserve including rare and common species
- Game drives, forest nature walks, and boat ride excursions for spotting some of the birds
- Wetland created where the western side of the river merges into Lake Albert - ideal spot to see the including the elusive shoebill stork
Below is a list of some of the birds of Murchison Falls National Park
4. Chimpanzee Trekking Safaris In Budongo Forest
- A perfect destination for viewing chimpanzees habituated to the presence of humans
- Opportunity to spend 60 minutes in their presence observing their activities
- Treks permitted only for visitors aged 12 years and above, birdwatching excursions for younger vacationers
If you enjoy nature walks, forest trekking safaris, primates and birdlife, opt to explore other wilderness areas like the forests of Rabongo, where you can also view primates, mammals, birds, and an incredible array of plant life.
5. Cultural & Community Tours Near Murchison Falls Park
- Visiting the Mubako Village that comprises of a collection of huts constructed with traditional materials
- Participating in their traditional activities and learning their crafts. Taking part in the evening music and dance festivities, examing and learning to play instruments
- Sustainable tourism shopping at the handicraft store run by the Boomu Women’s Group in support of the community
The village has a small handicraft store organized by the Boomu Women’s Group, where you can buy beautiful wooden items and woven artifacts made by hand. As your guide will advise you, the hot-dry climate around Murchison Falls National Park offers few means of livelihood, and the purchases you make as vacation souvenirs helps as part of sustainable tourism for the tribal community.
6. Hiking To The Top Of Murchison Falls
- Hiking tours to the top of the falls to revel in the river’s beauty from different vantage points
- Following the trail that follows the cascades through the cleft spanning an area of 7 meters
- Exploring the smaller Uhuru Falls
7. Fishing In The Nile River
- Fishing to catch the legendary Nile perch known for its beauty and spirit along with catfish and other species
- Fishing allowed in designated areas on a catch-and-release basis; permits, equipment, and assistance provided by the tour consultant at AfricanMecca
- Largest fish caught known to have weighed 108 kg (238 lbs)
8. Hot Air Balloon Safari In Murchison Falls Park
- Excursions organized on the northern banks of the Nile River at sunrise or sunset
- Opportunity to marvel at the falls from altitudes of 1,000 feet above sea level
- Sunrise balloon tours offers guests a bush breakfast upon landing
Murchison Falls Park Rating By AfricanMecca
Users (0 votes) 0
Write A Trip Review On Murchison Falls In Uganda
Read More +
MURCHISON FALLS NATIONAL PARK GUIDE
Murchison Falls Park offer a rich diversity of avian, semi-aquatic and terrestrial life - showcases 76 species of mammals and 451 types of birds. The primary attractions are the falls and mighty Nile River.
Read More +
WHERE & BEST PLACES TO STAY IN MURCHISON FALLS
Murchison Falls has varied accommodations, from the luxuries of Baker's Lodge to the deluxe option of Nile Safari Lodge. The value lodge options are Murchison River, Paraa and Chobe Safari Lodges.
Read More +
BEST TIME TO VISIT MURCHISON FALLS
Like most locations in Africa, Murchison Falls National Park has two wet rainy seasons and two dry seasons. December to March, June & July is the best times to visit Murchison Falls National Park in Uganda.
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
AfricanMecca Safaris created a remarkable honeymoon tailored to our interests and desires. The quality of service and delivery of experience was unsurpassed. I highly recommend AfricanMecca Safaris to honeymooners, families, or any traveler.
Noorin & Jason Nelson - Maryland, United States
I booked my safari holiday through AfricanMecca. They were the most helpful company I have ever dealt with and I work within the travel industry. I had the most amazing time. The holiday went as clockwork with no hitches anywhere.
Shelley Roberts - Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you.
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
We have returned from our African adventure and would like to thank you very much for your part in making this such a wonderful experience. We were lucky enough to time the Great Migration from the Serengeti, which was amazing.
Denise Paterson - Belmont, Australia
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING TRIP IDEA FOR MURCHISON FALLS IN UGANDA
When visiting Murchison Falls for your wildlife safari, we recommend combining it with Bwindi Park for your gorilla safari trek, Queen Elizabeth, and Kibale (chimpanzee safari) alongside your city tour visits of Kampala and Entebbe.
You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas such as Mgahinga to track down golden monkeys and gorillas in the same park, Jinja for whitewater rafting on the Nile River, and Semliki, Lake Mburo or Kidepo for an offbeat wildlife tour.
You can end your vacation on the beach at Lake Victoria or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.
Best Safari Planning Ideas & Trip Experiences For UgandaBelow are guide references on how to plan each of the below safari experience in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each trip planning experience.READ MORE
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO MURCHISON FALLS IN UGANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance For Your Travels In Murchison Falls ? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT AN AFRICA TRAVEL EXPERT ON MURCHISON FALLS NATIONAL PARK
EXPLORE MORE ON MURCHISON FALLS NATIONAL PARK IN UGANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED MURCHISON FALLS FOR AN AFRICA SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE MURCHISON FALLS REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisHorseback Riding Safari In Masai Mara (Kenya) Published By AfricanMecca Safaris ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +