GUIDE ON MURCHISON RIVER LODGE IN UGANDA
Murchison River Lodge Overview & Where Is It Located?Standing on 30 acres of wilderness on the southern banks of the Victoria Nile River in Murchison Falls National Park is the Murchison River Lodge. Safari vacationers in Uganda spending time in this rustic, economy accommodation will love its serene ambiance and picturesque location about 20 kilometers (12 miles) from Murchison Falls. Operating on eco-friendly principles including impressive solar power use, the lodge has a simple lounge, walled-up bar and dining area with a thatched roof and rough-hewn furniture that offers a comfortable place to relax.
The outdoor deck, beside the river, includes a hammock for lazy siestas in the sun listening to the songs of birds. You can also take a dip in the shaded rock-lined pool or let the kids splash around in the separate wading area.
- Sited on the southern banks of the Victoria Nile River in Murchison Falls Park
- Shaded swimming pool lined with rocks with a separate wading section where kids can play
- Rustic ambiance with hammocks for relaxation, thatched roofs, and rough-hewn furniture
- Operates on eco-friendly principles with solar panels for generating power at the lodge
- Comfortable lounge for relaxing and leisure reading
What To Expect At Murchison River Lodge Accommodation?
- Value Safari Tier 3 Experience. Total of 12 cottages and tents
- Thatched Roof Cottages for sleeping 4 adults or 2 adults and 4 kids
- Thatched Safari Tents spacious enough for up to 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 kids
- There is also an option of staying at River Tents with secluded views of the Nile
- Bring Your Own (BYO) tent option is available to backpackers open pitching their own tents and using shared bathrooms
There is also the option of choosing River Tents that affords privacy and views of the Nile River. Being within close proximity of the river, the River Tent bathrooms at the back of the room utilize chemical toilets, in keeping with the regulations of Murchison Falls National Park. The lodge also offers a camping site and parking area at the back of the property to accommodate backpacker guests in Uganda who tour drive into Murchison Falls National Park (where else to stay) carrying their own camping gear. Shared toilets and shower block, campsite bar, a fire pit, a covered area, and seating areas make the site adequate for campers. Backpacker campers are allowed to use the facilities of the main lodge including the pool, bar and sitting areas.
Things To Do (Activities & Tour Attractions) & Why Visit Murchison River Lodge On Murchison Falls Safari?
- Frequent sightings of wildlife roaming the lodge environs including hippos, monkeys, and birds
- Game drives in Murchison Park to view the incredible variety of flora and fauna
- Visiting the Kaniyo Pabidi Forest for chimpanzee safari trek and to view other primates
- Birdwatching excursions to spot some of the exciting range of avian life
- Cultural immersion by interacting with local people and fishing on the river
Book a safari boat trip for the view of the falls or take a tour to the top, where you can admire a complete view of the falls. Murchison Falls Park affords a distinct safari experience in Uganda, and is well known for its amazing diversity of wildlife. Visit Budongo Forest for a safari trekking excursion, home to more to 600 to 800 chimpanzees, along with baboons, black and white colobus monkeys, and blue monkeys. Other interesting safari activities AfricanMecca recommends in the area include community walks to interact with the local people, and tag and release fishing to snag the famous Nile perch. Birdwatchers in Uganda will enjoy photographing the many rare species that thrive here e.g. secretary bird, francolins, red throated bee-eater, plovers, woodland kingfishers and many more.
How Is The Dining At Murchison River Lodge?
- Dining area located within the lounge area serving a fixed menu
- Kid-friendly meals served as needed along with high chairs and unbreakable utensils
- Honesty Bar within the lounge serves a selection of soft drinks, juices, wines, spirits, and alcoholic drinks
- Early morning breakfast available for guests wishing to go on wildlife-viewing expeditions
- Fresh ingredients like local vegetables, fish from the river and butchery meats from Jinja used to cook homely meals
What We Like About Murchison River Lodge
- The lodge employs staff from local communities, and operates on eco-friendly principles, with solar power for lighting, fridges and freezers, water pumps, charging stations and heating water for showers.
- Has a lovely location beside the Victoria Nile, offering scenic river views of the hippo pods of Murchison Falls National Park.
- Has a shaded rock-lined swimming pool for lazy dips in the sun.
- Ideal for families on safari and traveling with kids; has a separate wading pool, offers cots and cribs for young kids, children’s menu, along with complimentary popcorn served beside the pool.
- Offers cottages and tents in various specifications, suitable for guests on a low budget.
Things To Note When Staying At Murchison River Lodge
- Only accessible by road with your own safari guide and 4x4 vehicle from Kampala. The lodge does not offer game drive activities with a local guide who resides at the lodge.
- The lodge also attracts backpacking enthusiasts, and allows those camping with their own tent to also use the higher priced lodge facilities including the pool, bar area and sitting areas at no extra cost.
- The lodge is not suitable for discerning, deluxe or luxury guests looking for frill accommodation with comforts.
- The southern bank location of the lodge means it is close to villages. On some nights, expect noise including music from surrounding community villages and during festive events. Also, the southern area is not ideal for wildlife viewing due to the close proximity to villages. To get to the north, you need to use the Paraa ferry each day at designated times to cross over. Expect delays and ferry traffic at peak times.
- Thatched cottages and thatched tents have variable views, with most located at the back of the property, away from the river. Expect cold showers during overcast and rainy days as water is heated via solar only.
Murchison River Lodge Rating By AfricanMecca
Service & Quality
Users (0 votes) 0
Murchison River Lodge Is A Value Tier 3 Safari Accommodation
Write An Accommodation Trip Review On Murchison River Lodge In Murchison Falls, Uganda
Read More +
WHERE & BEST PLACES TO STAY MURCHISON FALLS
Read More +
MURCHISON FALLS SAFARI ACTIVITIES & TOUR ATTRACTIONS
Read More +
UGANDA GORILLA TREK & CHIMPANZEE SAFARIS
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
Jambo Altaf, Many thanks for a brilliant holiday. Your choice of tented accommodation at the two Tsavos and Amboseli was superb, we didn't have a favourite. We would recommend AfricanMecca to anyone.
Geoffrey Topliss - Northampton, United Kingdom
I cannot say enough about the quality of AfricanMecca. Their teams in Kenya and Tanzania were top notch. Raza, again thanks to you and your entire organization! We will be repeat customers.
Dan Kobick - Managing Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers - New York, United States
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you..
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
Raza and AfricanMecca Safaris did an outstanding job with all of the arrangements lined up to help make our trip unforgettable. We do thank you from the bottom of our heart.
Kim and Mike Claiborne - Texas, United States
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING TRIP IDEA FOR MURCHISON RIVER LODGE IN MURCHISON FALLS UGANDA
When staying at Murchison River Lodge in Uganda, we recommend combining it with Bwindi Park for your gorilla safari trek, Queen Elizabeth, and Kibale (chimpanzee safari) alongside your city tour visits of Kampala and Entebbe.
You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas such as Mgahinga to track down golden monkeys and gorillas in the same park, Jinja for whitewater rafting on the Nile River, and Semliki, Lake Mburo or Kidepo for an offbeat wildlife tour.
You can end your vacation on the beach at Lake Victoria or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.
Best Safari Planning Ideas & Trip Experiences For UgandaBelow are guide references on how to plan each of the below safari experience in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each trip planning experience.READ MORE
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO MURCHISON FALLS IN UGANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance With Murchison River Lodge? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT AN AFRICA TRAVEL EXPERT ON MURCHISON RIVER LODGE
EXPLORE MORE ON MURCHISON FALLS NATIONAL PARK IN UGANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED MURCHISON FALLS FOR AN AFRICA SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE MURCHISON RIVER LODGE REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisMasai Mara Horseback Riding Safari In Kenya Published By AfricanMecca Safaris | ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +