GUIDE ON SANCTUARY GORILLA FOREST CAMP IN UGANDA
Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp Overview & Where Is It Located?The Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp is a luxury African safari vacation accommodation located on a flat-topped ridge within Bwindi Impenetrable National Park - one of the only two accommodations located within the park. When you arrive at this haven hidden within lush foliage, you’ll find a pleasant thatch-roofed lounge area with stone pathways leading to the tented rooms. The grandeur lounge combines elegance with a rustic ambiance and offers plenty of space to relax, indoors or out on the patio.
In the evenings, the outdoor campfire is perfect for unwinding in the gathering dusk and enjoying the melody of an African harp. Close by is the spa, where you can get expert massages and other beauty treatments, using organic products made from natural herbs, plant oils, fruits and vegetables e.g. Rooibos, African Potato, Aloe Ferox, Marula etc.
- Standing atop a flat ridge within the Bwindi Impenetrable Park
- Tucked away is a beautiful boutique property abounding with lush, natural foliage
- Traditional premier tented ambiance with structures sheltered under thatched roofs
- Indoor seating in the lounge area and outdoor seating on the green lawns with a warm campfire
- Spa for getting expert massages and beauty treatments using aromatic oil and organic ingredients
What To Expect At Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp Accommodation?
- Luxury Safari Tier 1 Experience. Total of 10 tented rooms with two queen beds
- Every unit has a yoga kit with mats and therabands for a refreshing workout
- Canvas walls and mesh panels that let in the sights and sounds of the wilderness
- Private patio for relaxing in the company of loved ones
- Ensuite stone-walled bathroom featuring shower area, bathtub, bathrobes, and single vanity
The tents are erected on wooden platforms and entered through wooden double doors. Mesh windows let in the breezes and songs of some of the 350 colorful bird species that reside in Bwindi Safari Park. The patio outside is furnished with a small seating arrangement, where you can enjoy coffee or sundowner drinks. The stone-walled ensuite bathroom is at the back and includes a shower stall, bathtub with a wooden bath panel, and single vanity, with bathrobes provided for your comfort.
Things To Do (Activities & Tour Attractions) & Why Visit Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp On Bwindi Safari?
- Exploring the Bwindi Impenetrable National Park which is a recognized UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Trekking through the forest to find the mountain gorilla family assigned to you. Mobility-challenged guests can be carried on sedan chairs
- Spotting 9 different species of primates that also thrive in the reserve
- Cultural encounters with the local Batwa and Bakiga communities during visits to their villages
- Viewing the amazing flora and fauna of the forest including 200 species of butterflies, insects, reptiles, and amphibians
Traveling along forest pathways on nature walks offers opportunities to spot the smaller denizens of the reserve, such as 200 species of butterflies, reptiles, amphibians, and insects, and of course to see the fabulous flora. Enjoy viewing the many-faceted landscape of Bwindi National Park, which includes waterfalls, lakes, forests, deep valleys, rocky crests, and beautiful vegetation.
As you wander through this breathtakingly beautiful wilderness, you may view some of the 9 other primates that thrive in the reserve. Other primates include black and white colobus monkeys, red-tailed monkeys, olive baboons, vervet monkeys, L’Hoest monkeys etc. Most tourists also enjoy the chance to visit nearby Batwa and Bakiga communities and spend time with the local tribal people, listening to ages-old lore and learning about their traditional living styles and their cultural arts and crafts—some of which you can buy at the lodge souvenir store, thereby supporting the artisans.
How Is The Dining At Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp?
- Delicious à la carte meals served in the dining area located in the lounge area
- Campfire lit in the evenings for cocktails and interactions with fellow travelers
- All meals cooked using organic ingredients sourced from local farms
- Candlelit meals organized on request on your private patio
- Traditional Ugandan dishes served such as smoked beef in peanut sauce accompanied by millet bread
Most of the food is cooked using fresh produce from the kitchen gardens, and the chef puts together packed lunches to bring on your gorilla-trekking trips in Bwindi. We recommend you try out the traditional peanut sauce fusion of smoked beef with Kalo millet bread. Alfresco dining option is available either on the deck of your private tent or under the African skies on the campgrounds.
What We Like About Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp
- Located just inside the boundary of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, offering easy access to the trailheads you can follow to see mountain gorillas. Mobility-challenged guests can be carried on sedan chairs with prior notice.
- Surrounded by lush foliage, providing the intimate safari holiday experience, with just 10 rooms and few other visitors.
- Has a spa and beauty center where you can get expert treatments using natural herbs and oils.
- The staff takes excellent care of guests, offering warm services, sharing anecdotes about their lives, and making guests feel at home.
- Superb dining experience at the camp and traditional campfire relaxation prior and after dinner.
Things To Note When Staying At Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp
- The camp is accessed via a steep climb of more than 90 steps, which mobility-challenged travelers may find it unsuitable.
- Maintains the authenticity of a traditional tented lodge, and thus does not have a swimming pool or fitness center. However, each room is equipped with a yoga kit that has two mats, therabands, and hand weights for working out.
- Needs to improve to become a 100% eco-friendly and carbon neutral camp; electricity currently runs through a silent generator and an inverter battery system.
- Located in the Buhoma sector of Bwindi which has the highest footfall of gorilla trekking tourists in Uganda.
- The camp works with local communities including their flagship support of Bwindi Community Hospital.
Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp Rating By AfricanMecca
Service & Quality
Users (0 votes) 0
Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp Is A Premier Tier 1 Safari Accommodation
Write An Accommodation Trip Review On Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp In Bwindi, Uganda
Read More +
WHERE & BEST PLACES TO STAY BWINDI
Read More +
BWINDI SAFARI ACTIVITIES & TOUR ATTRACTIONS
Read More +
UGANDA GORILLA TREK & CHIMPANZEE SAFARIS
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
Jambo Altaf, Many thanks for a brilliant holiday. Your choice of tented accommodation at the two Tsavos and Amboseli was superb, we didn't have a favourite. We would recommend AfricanMecca to anyone.
Geoffrey Topliss - Northampton, United Kingdom
I cannot say enough about the quality of AfricanMecca. Their teams in Kenya and Tanzania were top notch. Raza, again thanks to you and your entire organization! We will be repeat customers.
Dan Kobick - Managing Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers - New York, United States
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you..
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
Raza and AfricanMecca Safaris did an outstanding job with all of the arrangements lined up to help make our trip unforgettable. We do thank you from the bottom of our heart.
Kim and Mike Claiborne - Texas, United States
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING TRIP IDEA FOR SANCTUARY GORILLA FOREST CAMP IN BWINDI UGANDA
When staying at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp during your gorilla trekking safari in Uganda, we recommend combining it with Queen Elizabeth, Murchison Falls, and Kibale (chimpanzee safari) alongside your city tour visits of Kampala and Entebbe.
You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas such as Mgahinga to track down golden monkeys and gorillas in the same park, Jinja for whitewater rafting on the Nile River, and Semliki, Lake Mburo or Kidepo for an offbeat wildlife tour.
You can end your vacation on the beach at Lake Victoria or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.
Best Safari Planning Ideas & Trip Experiences For UgandaBelow are guide references on how to plan each of the below safari experience in Uganda. Alternatively, go to the summary section for a quick overview of each trip planning experience.READ MORE
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO BWINDI IN UGANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance With Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT AN AFRICA TRAVEL EXPERT ON SANCTUARY GORILLA FOREST CAMP
BWINDI CAMPS & LODGES
EXPLORE MORE ON BWINDI IMPENETRABLE NATIONAL PARK IN UGANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED BWINDI FOR AN AFRICA SAFARI IN UGANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE SANCTUARY GORILLA FOREST CAMP REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisMasai Mara Horseback Riding Safari In Kenya Published By AfricanMecca Safaris | ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +