GUIDE ON HOTEL DES MILLE COLLINES IN RWANDA
Accommodation & Tour Experience At Hotel Des Mille Collines
Navigation Tip - Go Directly To Prices, Reviews, Map, Photos, Video & Room Rate Guide For Hotel Des Mille CollinesThe Hotel Des Mille Collines (formerly under the Kempinski brand) takes the credit for being the first hotel for like-minded travelers to open in Rwanda in 1973. Memorialized in the movie, "Hotel Rwanda," this deluxe hotel is located in the hub of the city offering an elegant, well-decorated lounge, excellent cuisine and a poolside spa set up in a charming makuti thatch-roofed gazebo. Taste the hospitality and enjoy the fusion music of Rwanda by spending time in the lounge bar or sip on drinks from the pool bar while sunbathing beside it in hammocks. The landscaped gardens form a tranquil haven with views of the sprawling city enclosed by the green hills of the country. Enjoy these views from some of the 112 rooms offered by the hotel to guests on an urban vacation or business-visiting Kigali. They have well-decorated rooms in a range of specifications designed for the mid-range guest. Choose from the Classic Room City View, Classic Room Garden View and Classic Room Panorama View, each of which can sleep two adults and a child. The Suites such as the Classic Junior Suite and Classic Superior Suite are comfortable for two adults and two kids. The rooms and suites come with air-conditioning, a writing desk, minibar, flat screen television and electronic safe while the ensuite bathrooms include a bathtub. Dine in the two restaurants of the hotel that serve you scrumptious meals. Visit the garden-facing La Terrasse and fourth-floor located Le Panorama to enjoy a range of global and traditional Rwandan cuisine including signature dishes and cocktails. The Pool Bar and Legacy Lounge serve drinks and snacks. Spend your evenings at the Lounge Bar with cocktails and cigars, dancing to lively fusion music. During the day, you can spend time touring the city and exploring its vibrant culture and history. The three ancient tribes of the country, Bahutu, Batwa, and Batutsi are highly accomplished in arts, crafts, dance, and music. Their ethnic treasures are showcased in institutions such as the Ivuka Art Gallery, Inema Art Gallery and the Niyo Art Gallery that displays art by the young people of Kigali. Should you visit the Dancing Pots, you can view the specialized dance forms of the Batwa people, and also the art of pottery making. To shop for souvenirs of your trip, you must visit the Caplaki Handicrafts Cooperation. Pick out pretty baskets, pottery, beautiful tribal masks, drums and other finely carved woodwork. As you holiday in the city, you will be touched by the friendliness and geniality of the people that comes as a striking contrast to the dark phase in its history. The 100 days of terrible genocide that occurred in 1994 are enshrined in memorials such as the Kigali Genocide Memorial, Ntarama Church, Nyanza Genocide Memorial and Nyamata Church. Co-founder of the city of Kigali and famed explorer who is known as one of the discoverers of the Nile River is Dr. Richard Kandt. His home, Kandt House has been converted into the Natural History Museum that displays many specimens of the animal, bird and plant life found in different parts of Rwanda. Having spent time in the capital, you can go on to visiting the parks and reserves of the Rwanda, one of which hosts rare mountain gorillas. RELATED PAGES: (1) Kigali Guide, (2) Best Time & Weather To Visit Kigali, (3) Hotels In Kigali
What We Like About Hotel Des Mille Collines
- Central location. Sited at a driving distance of 20 minutes from Kigali International Airport, this hotel is ideal for tourists and corporate personnel visiting the city for a short stay. Thus, if you intend to conduct commercial activities in Kigali, you will appreciate its proximity to the main business district of the city.
- You can expect delectable cuisine, both global and local served to you in the two restaurants, each offering a distinct ambiance and variety of dishes.
- Kigali’s social magnet. To enjoy fusion music and the nightlife of the city, the hotel’s Legacy Lounge is the place to visit.
- Rwanda’s first hotel. It was also memorialized in the movie, "Hotel Rwanda.".
- Upper floor rooms that face the pool have great views.
Things To Note When Staying At Hotel Des Mille Collines
- The hotel offers a collection of 7 venues for organizing formal events and corporate meetings. When attendees converge to attend these events, resident guests might find the noise disturbing.
- Considering that the hotel offers 112 rooms, if you are looking for a small, boutique accommodation with personalized service, you should look for a different accommodation in Kigali.
- Variable rooms experience i.e. rooms that face the parking lot that is not particularly scenic. Lower floor rooms can be noisy at times.
- Rooming costs are on the high side due to its brand i.e. Rwanda’s first hotel and as featured in "Hotel Rwanda." You are paying to stay at a historical hotel.
- Staff service can be fickle at times.
Write An Accommodation Trip Review On Hotel Des Mille Collines In Kigali, Rwanda
Read More +
PLACES TO STAY IN KIGALI CITY
Read More +
KIGALI TOURS & ATTRACTIONS
Read More +
RWANDA GORILLA TREK SAFARIS
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
Jambo Altaf, Many thanks for a brilliant holiday. Your choice of tented accommodation at the two Tsavos and Amboseli was superb, we didn't have a favourite. We would recommend AfricanMecca to anyone.
Geoffrey Topliss - Northampton, United Kingdom
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you.
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
I cannot say enough about the quality of AfricanMecca. Their teams in Kenya and Tanzania were top notch. Raza, again thanks to you and your entire organization! We will be repeat customers.
Dan Kobick - Managing Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers - New York, United States
The safari trip was spectacular! Everything went off without a hitch. Thank you for a job well done! We loved the Masai Mara. The migration was awesome. The people were lovely and accommodating. A great place to start the safari experience.
Judi & Chaim Platt - Toronto, Canada
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
EAST AFRICA TOUR BOOKING TRIP IDEA FOR FOR HOTEL DES MILLE COLLINES IN KIGALI RWANDA
When staying at Hotel Des Mille Collines in Rwanda, we recommend experiencing some of the surrounding Kigali sightseeing attractions and cultural tour activities before heading out on your gorilla and primate safari to Volcanoes (Parc National de Volcans), Nyungwe and Akagera. You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas of Gishwati-Mukura ending with a beach vacation at Lake Kivu or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.READ MORE
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICA TRIP TO KIGALI IN RWANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance With Hotel Des Mille Collines? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT AN AFRICA TRAVEL EXPERT ON HOTEL DES MILLE COLLINES
Park Inn By Radisson KigaliKigali
Radisson Blu Kigali HotelKigali
Kigali Serena HotelKigali
The Manor HotelKigali
Kigali Marriott HotelKigali
Hotel Villa PortofinoKigali
Hotel Des Mille CollinesKigali
Grand Legacy HotelKigali
Gorillas Golf HotelKigali
Golf Hills ResidenceKigali
HAVE YOU VISITED KIGALI ON A TOUR VACATION IN RWANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE HOTEL DES MILLE COLLINES REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisHorseback Riding Safari In Masai Mara (Kenya) Published By AfricanMecca Safaris ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +