GUIDE ON MAGASHI CAMP IN AKAGERA
Magashi Camp Overview & Where Is It Located?Tucked away in a picturesque corner in the northeast of Akagera National Park is the premier Magashi Camp. Choose this stayover for your luxury safari vacation in Africa, and you will be immersed in a gorgeous slice of paradise with the Lake Rwanyakazinga shimmering in front of you, cradled within gently rolling hills.
The camp itself is constructed out of naturally-occurring materials such as treated timber, canvas, and poles intended to minimize the carbon footprint on this delicate ecosystem. Solar panels have been installed to generate electricity for the camp though generators are also present for uninterrupted power supply on cloudy or rainy days. Eco-travelers are pleased to learn about the other efforts adopted by the management to preserve the pristine environs of Akagera Park. The water supply is sourced from a borehole and purified using natural systems. You can spend time in the open-sided canvas-topped lounge-cum-bar with a deck in front adorned with the ethnic ‘imigongo’ murals for which Rwanda is so famous. Plush sofas and other hand-crafted knick-knacks liven up the elegant spaces while the pool is a lovely addition for taking a dip or sunbathing.
- Lakeside location in the remote northeastern region of Akagera National Park
- Constructed out of naturally-occurring materials
- Low carbon footprint. Eco camp with electricity generated using solar panels
- The camp has a swimming pool. Water sourced from a borehole using purified natural system
- Adorned with the ethnic ‘imigongo’ murals
What To Expect At Magashi Camp Accommodation?
- Premier Safari Tier 1 Experience. Total of 6 tented rooms, 3 with a large double bed and 3 with twin beds
- Minimum age for kids is 6 years and each tented room can have a maximum of 1 extra bed
- The rooms have a view of the lake. Semi-permanent rooms with roll-up canvas walls and ceiling, flooring is wooden
- Ensuite bathroom with shower, bathrobes, slippers, and high quality toiletries
- Indoor and outdoor seating arrangements
Enjoy the leisurely walk along raised wooden walkways surrounded by the lush greenery of Akagera Park to reach your room. Built with loving care by the local artisans and members of the community, the tents have open sides with roll-up canvas walls that you can drop when you need privacy. At other times, revel in the sights and sounds of the Akagera with views of the lake from the deck outside. Diaphanous mosquito netting surrounds the large bed while faux fur and area rugs grace the wooden flooring.
You will have a small seating arrangement where you can put up your feet and enjoy the tranquil beauty of Akagera National Park. The open racks are perfect for unpacking for your safari trip, and although there is no air conditioning, a pedestal fan keeps the interiors ventilated. Drinking water is placed in the tented rooms in refillable glass bottles. Other amenities include tea and coffee making supplies, electronic safe for storing valuables, journal table and chair, and a minibar. You can spend time on the wraparound wooden deck outside that has lightweight rattan furniture. The ensuite bathroom is at the back and is constructed out of wall tiling and stone floors. Expect to see a separate shower area and a single vanity. High-grade toiletries, a vanity kit, eco-friendly detergent, bathrobes, and slippers are placed for your use.
Things To Do (Activities & Tour Attractions) & Why Visit Magashi Camp On Akagera Safari?
- Important Birding Area with around 520 bird species
- Walking safaris to sight flora and small creatures like insects, amphibians, reptiles, and mammals
- Night game drives to view nocturnal wildlife
- Boating tours to spot crocodiles, hippos, avian life including the rare shoebill stork
- Game drives to view various wildlife including new introductions like black rhinos and lions
In addition to exciting day and night game drives, you could also go on walking safaris to experience the smaller jewels of the African bush via sight, sound, texture and smell encounters. A night game drive is perfect for spotting species that only come out in the cover of darkness to hunt and feed. Smaller animals like the porcupine, honey badger, white-tailed mongoose, and various reptiles and amphibians are best seen during twilight. Touring Akagera Park’s water bodies by boat is another exciting excursion that treats to views of enormous crocodiles and pods of hippos along with the whimsical shoebill stork.
How Is The Dining At Magashi Camp?
- Indoor and outdoor dining options
- Campfires lit in the evening for lively conversations and sundowners
- Bar located in the lounge area
- Local and international gourmet cuisine available
- Meals cooked using organic ingredients sourced from local farms
What We Like About Magashi Camp
- Away from the crowds of Akagera. The location of the camp is remote and exclusive to Magashi only.
- Small, intimate luxury camp with only 6 tented rooms providing the boutique vacation experience with low footfall and personalized service.
- Follows eco-friendly principles, built using sustainable materials harvested from Akagera Park and has solar panels installed to generate power for lighting and heating water.
- Has a fabulous view overlooking the scenic Lake Rwanyakazinga, and is tucked away amidst lush greenery for the perfect African holiday ambiance, ideal for guests who prefer a hybrid lodge-tent style accommodation with a pool.
- Provides unique safari activities such as night game drives and walking tours so guests can enjoy an up-close-and-personal wildlife viewing experience.
Things To Note When Staying At Magashi Camp
- Not entirely eco-friendly, supplements solar panels with a generator for days when it is raining, or the sky is cloudy.
- Has a limited number of rooms and can get booked quickly in the prime holiday season in Akagera National Park, guests wishing to stay here may want to inform the tour consultant at AfricanMecca at least 12 to 18 months in advance.
- Rooms are accessed by walking over a raised pathway, may not be suitable for guests with mobility challenges.
- Has a swimming pool which is more appropriate for a hotel rather than a safari stayover, guests desiring the authentic camping experience may prefer the absence of such add-ons.
- Children aged 6 years and above are welcome; however, the camp requires families with children to book a minimum of 3 tents so the vehicle for game drives can be allocated on sole use.
Magashi Camp Rating By AfricanMecca
Service & Quality
Users (0 votes) 0
Magashi Camp Is A Premier Tier 1 Safari Accommodation
Write An Accommodation Trip Review On Magashi Camp In Akagera, Rwanda
Read More +
PLACES TO STAY IN AKAGERA
Read More +
SAFARI & TOUR IN AKAGERA PARK
Read More +
RWANDA GORILLA TREK SAFARIS
What are our Customers saying about us? READ MORE REVIEWS
AfricanMecca Safaris offers incredibly knowledgeable and skilled services! Our travel arrangements for 2 months of volunteering with TEACH Rwanda in country were made quickly and economically. Honored to work with Raza!
Janet Brown - TEACH Rwanda Founder - United States
I just returned from a month in Africa, specifically Rwanda & Kenya. I am left breathless with my experience. AfricanMecca Safaris coordinated the entire trip for me and left no detail, nothing for me to do.
Carol Bobb - Pennsylvania, United States
Jambo Altaf, Many thanks for a brilliant holiday. Your choice of tented accommodation at the two Tsavos and Amboseli was superb, we didn't have a favourite. We would recommend AfricanMecca to anyone.
Geoffrey Topliss - Northampton, United Kingdom
I cannot say enough about the quality of AfricanMecca. Their teams in Kenya and Tanzania were top notch. Raza, again thanks to you and your entire organization! We will be repeat customers.
Dan Kobick - Managing Director, PricewaterhouseCoopers - New York, United States
This is to let you know my guests, The Bryant's, had a wonderful time on the trip Samburu, Masai Mara/Kenya, Chobe/Botswana & Victoria Falls/Zambia. Everything was perfect! Thank you..
Christine Milan - MT Carmel Travel - Connecticut, United States
Raza and AfricanMecca Safaris did an outstanding job with all of the arrangements lined up to help make our trip unforgettable. We do thank you from the bottom of our heart.
Kim and Mike Claiborne - Texas, United States
Rwanda was amazing. The accommodations, food, and guides AfricanMecca arranged were great. Raza also helped us through the complicated process of getting permits for gorilla trekking. AfricanMecca is a fantastic company to work with.
Stephanie Weir - United States
EAST AFRICA SAFARI BOOKING TRIP IDEA FOR MAGASHI CAMP IN AKAGERA RWANDA
When staying at Magashi Camp in Rwanda, we recommend combining it with a gorilla and primate safari to Volcanoes (Parc National de Volcans), Nyungwe and a city tour of Kigali. You may optionally extend out to other wilderness areas of Gishwati-Mukura ending with a beach vacation at Lake Kivu or even extending out to the exotic spice island of Zanzibar or Lamu, or even Mombasa.READ MORE
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
Kickstart Your Safari Planning
ARE YOU PLANNING TO BOOK AN AFRICAN SAFARI TO AKAGERA IN RWANDA?
Do You Need Knowledgeable, Experienced & Specialist Guidance With Magashi Camp? Let Us Help Plan Your Trip Itinerary CorrectlyCONTACT AN AFRICA TRAVEL EXPERT ON MAGASHI CAMP
EXPLORE MORE ON AKAGERA NATIONAL PARK IN RWANDA
HAVE YOU VISITED AKAGERA FOR AN AFRICA SAFARI IN RWANDA?
Write A Travel Or Tourist Trip Review To Share Your ExperiencesWRITE MAGASHI CAMP REVIEW
AMS BLOGVIEW ALL -
- 26 October 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisBaggage Guidance & Restrictions On Flying Safaris In Africa Published By Afr...READ MORE +
- 07 June 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Latest Kenya Blog Posts From AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisHorseback Riding Safari In Masai Mara (Kenya) Published By AfricanMecca Safaris ...READ MORE +
- 24 March 2017 by AfricanMecca Safaris, in Blog For AfricanMecca Safaris,Safari Planning Blog Posts - AfricanMecca SafarisTimes Square New York Hosts Kenya Tourism Board & Wilderness Safaris Meet Up...READ MORE +