Sweetwaters Camp, Ol Pejeta - Kenya Safaris
Sweetwaters Tented Camp lies in the heart of privately owned 24,000 acres of Ol Pejeta - Sweetwaters Conservancy, enjoying magnificent views across the game - studded plains to the snowcapped peaks of Mount Kenya. Sweetwaters Tented Camp is a two and a half hour drive from Nairobi. Alternatively, Nanyuki airstrip is a one-hour drive away. Overlooking a floodlit waterhole, the camp offers visitors an unforgettable opportunity to watch and photograph animals in their natural habitat.
Tell Me More About Sweetwaters Tented Camp Located In Nanyuki, Next to Mount Kenya National Park & Ol Pejeta - Sweetwaters as an Africa Holiday Safaris & Kenya Safari Accommodation?
Kenya Safari Accommodations & More at Sweetwaters Camp, Kenya
Africa - Kenya Holiday Safari Dining and Relaxation Experience at Sweetwaters Tented Camp Located In Ol Pejeta
- There are a total of 30 tents composed of 7 doubles, 19 twins and 4 triples. 10 of the tents are raised on a platform, 20 on the ground floor. 10 extra beds can be made available. 4 baby cots and 2 high chairs can be made available on request. 25 of the 30 tents face a large waterhole and beyond, the magnificent views of Mount Kenya. Behind the tents on the ground level, erected on concrete plinths, are those on raised wooden platforms. All Sweetwaters tents are covered by a thatch roof and are cool even during the hottest day. Each spacious tent has a verandah with two camp chairs and a table.
- Sweetwaters Tented Camp has both overhead and bedside lights, a dressing table and cupboard with hangars and a suitcase rack. Also in the tent is an umbrella, boiled water and glasses, insecticides and air fresheners and a flashlight. Mosquito proofing gauze and flaps cover the windows, and the tents are front zip-up. Each bathroom is provided with a shower stall, flush toilets in the bathroom, and washbasin. The camp provides shampoo, body lotion, bath and shower gel, and bathrobes and freshly laundered towels. There is hot and cold running water in each tent but no electrical outlets in tents.
Africa Safaris & Kenya Safaris Wildlife Safari Activities at Sweetwaters Tented Camp include:
- Rhino Restaurant: Set in the main building, the Rhino Restaurant's windows let in a lot of natural light and a delightful breeze in this warm climate. The restaurant has a view of the waterhole. The menu is a combination of European, African and Asian dishes, made from an abundance of fresh Kenyan produce. Both breakfast and lunch are served buffet-style, while dinner is a 5-course Table D'hôte, with a choice of main courses. The restaurant can seat 80 people, and is open for breakfast from 7.00 a.m. to 9.30 a.m., lunch 12.30 p.m. to 2.30 p.m. and dinner 7.30 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.. Children's early dinner (on request) is from 6.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
- Khashoggi Lounge: Also located in the main building, the Khashoggi Bar is a comfortable lounge which extends into 3 sections: 2 of these have a shared fireplace lit from 5.00 p.m. to 11.00 p.m., while the third is an annex to the Rhino Restaurant. This annex has a small verandah, which leads out into the Waterhole Bar, and is decorated in warm colors with cushions and deep stuffed sofas and rugs. Afternoon tea is served here from 4.00 p.m. to 5.30 p.m..
- Waterhole Lounge: Elevated some 20 feet off the ground, this lounge overlooks the waterhole giving you a superb view of the wildlife visiting to quench their thirst. The Waterhole Lounge is an ideal venue for small cocktail parties or dinner parties. The seating capacity is 30 people, or for cocktails 20 people. Private dinners can be arranged here for up to 12 people.
- Swimming Pool Verandah: Located by the swimming pool, the verandah has a generous barbeque pit. The area around the swimming pool is ideal for private cocktail parties, dinners and barbeques. Barbeque dinners are served on request, and curry lunches on Sundays, weather permitting.
- Room Service: Room service only offers tea/coffee with wake-up calls. This service is not a common feature at Sweetwaters but meals and beverages can be served in tents on request.
The chimp sanctuary is the only one of its kind in Kenya. Visitors can enjoy the
unique opportunity of observing the chimps by boat on the Uwasi Nyiro River. The riverine forest and the savannah grassland of the sanctuary are home to 26-orphaned chimps. Here one has the opportunity to meet with Poco, who spent six years of his life imprisoned in a small birdcage suspended from a roof, a garage. Now Poco is a handsome, contented chimp, able to explore his habitat.
- Sweetwaters Chimpanzee Sanctuary:
Badminton: A small court is situated just off the pool. 4 rackets are available for use and shuttlecocks can be borrowed.
Board Games: Scrabble and playing cards are available from reception.
Game Watching: The floodlit waterhole is frequented by elephant and plains game such as giraffe, zebra and impala. The Waterhole Bar is ideal for night game watching, for those who do not wish to venture too far from their tents.
Satellite Television: There is a television in the lounge area, where guests can catch up on the latest news or watch films. A children's channel is also available for children to watch cartoons and other kids' films.
Swimming: An attendant from 6.00 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. mans the swimming pool. The wooden trellis with bougainvillea, African Violets and Golden Shower creepers allow dappled sunlight through on some spots, a relief from the sometimes-scorching sun. Sun-beds and mattresses are available. Towels are provided. There are men's and ladies' changing rooms, each with showers. An adult must accompany children under the age of 12 at all times.
Table tennis: Table tennis paddle and ball is available for guests use.
Videos: Wildlife movies are screened in the Morani Room on guests' request.